8 Things My Little Sister Says That Make Me Nostalgic

What's worse than seeing the innocence that you once had in a reflection?

67
Delly Chollet

As we grow, we realize that the world is not what we thought when we were young and oblivious. My little sister says things that make me wish I was still 7-years-old and I wish that I could keep her at that age and that innocent forever.

1. "When I grow up, I want to be a princess."

I mean come on. I can't just tell her, "You need to go to college, get good grades, do your résumé and keep it on one page, apply for internships with a different cover letter every time and still find time to be happy."

2. "Look!! I got $10 for making my bed! I can't wait to get an American Girl with my own money!"

You're going to have to make your bed 15 more times to be able to afford an American Girl, but God, do I wish $10 made me as happy as it makes her.

3. "My favorite thing about school is lunch and recess."

How sweet. Recess was my favorite thing too. Being able to play with my friends outside and when it was rainy, play inside ... until the chalk turned into pencils, monkey bars into notebooks and asphalt into ugly white tiles that were bargain priced and sold in bulk.

4. "I have a boyfriend, but don't tell Mommy or Papa."

When questioned further, she said that they held hands and smiled at each other all day and now they're dating. How sweet!

5. "Wait! Before bedtime I want to show you something."

When she tells me that, I so badly want to tell her to get as much sleep as she can now because in a few years, it'll catch up with her.

6. "Look at my new lipgloss! I feel like a superstar."

This one really gets me because she's just using makeup for fun, but soon it'll be a necessity of her professional and social life.

7. "Check out where my elf on the shelf is today!!!"

Little does she know that I moved it and that I feel so guilty for playing along, but damn that's going to hurt when she finds out. Also, basically about every other fictional character.

8. "I can't wait to go to the zoo today."

I don't mean to get all activist here, but she might not be excited to see the most interesting animals in the world when she finds out how they got there and what is done to them.

So in conclusion, all I have to say is ...