Apple Hires Former Google AI Boss To Give Siri A Facelift

Apple Hires Google's Top AI Boss, John Giannandrea

98
Unsplash

There's a lot to love about iPhone but one feature has always struggled to please Apple users: Siri.

The personal voice assistant made her debut in 2011 where she demonstrated her ability to complete voice commands on the iPhone 4s. She was considered a breakthrough technology of the time and loyal iPhone users were waiting in long lines to meet her.

Over the years the personal assistant has fallen behind in the ability to successfully answer users' many questions and commands. Competitors like Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Microsoft Cortana have surpassed Siri's functionality significantly.

In this video, a YouTuber compares the Apple HomePod, Google Home Max and Amazon Echo Plus. The HomePod lags in comparison to the other two speakers when it comes to voice commands.

Well, the game might change. Recently, Apple hired Google's chief of search and artificial intelligence, John Giannandrea. Mr. Giannandrea has worked for Google since 2010 and is considered a machine learning guru. Titled as the leader of "machine learning and AI strategy" Giannandrea will report directly to CEO Tim Cook. This hire is a huge win for Apple as they have struggled to progress in all AI fields, especially natural-language processing (NLP). NLP is a segment of AI that Apple has notoriously lagged in.

With Giannandrea's expertise, Apple has the opportunity to improve Siri's ability to understand human commands and combat the overall disappointment among users. More importantly, Apple now has the chance to catch up with Google Assistant.

Why is this particularly important?

Google has some of the best software engineers in the world. From Google Maps to Google Search to Google Docs, the multinational technology company stores over two billion lines of code in their database. Their game-changing algorithms and advanced software code have set a bar too high for Apple to currently reach. With the help of a former Google employee and possibly the most qualified candidate, Apple might be able to reach that bar and maybe even surpass it.

There's still an issue.

The reason huge tech companies like Google and Facebook are so good at creating self-improving software is that they have access to the data of billions of users around the globe. Apple doesn't have this advantage and they aren't exactly upset that they don't either.

Over the past few years, Apple has made it clear they have a huge respect for their users' privacy and will never do anything to compromise that. With Facebook's current data breach dilemma, Apple CEO Tim Cook has reiterated the company's strong value of privacy and how he believes in the possibility to create effective machine-learning technology that doesn't compromise our privacy.

Working with only publicly available data rather than the immense data depositories that Google has built, time will tell how Apple's new AI boss will function and help Apple grow at his new job.