Being single in college

Being single in college

The single life has so many benefits; independence is key to finding yourself.

22
Being single in college
Brianna Graziano

In my eyes, college is a time to grow and learn new things about yourself. Going to a college out of town means being thrown into a pool of new people, new experiences, new weather, a new atmosphere, etc. There comes a point in life where you have to learn to be independent, make new relationships in a new area, and do things completely on your own. For anyone that is bummed out about being single in college and/or starting off college without a significant other by your side, know it's not all that bad.

College is a fresh start. Depending on what college you attend, there aren't many or aren't any people from high school around you. This is a perfect time to re-invent yourself, meet completely new people, and get out of your comfort zone. Personally, I'm glad that I entered college without a significant other, especially long distance, because this gave me a chance to do things I wouldn't normally do. I went out with my friends, I made it a point to talk to boys in my classes and put myself out there, I joined clubs and organizations. It was a beneficial thing on my part.

Being single isn't the be all and end all of college. Being in a relationship has many benefits, but so does being single. Personally, I'm glad I haven't had a significant other by my side going into college because there are so things I've learned about myself that I wouldn't have otherwise known. This isn't an invitation to break up with your lover, but for those who think being single is awful, think about all the things you can do and experience on your own.

Choosing to be single has allowed me to meet so many new people, do so many new things, and learn so much about myself. I've learned to survive on my own without anyones assistance. There's always going to be other chances to find the one, so don't sweat it if you're single.