I Have Been Single My Entire Life

I Have Been Single My Entire Life

It can be embarrassing and awkward and a bit confusing at times, but sometimes, I feel like I'm living the dream.

289
I Have Been Single My Entire Life
Cambio

I remember playing a game in elementary school called "boys against girls." It was a childhood version of tag where boys were on one team and girls were on another and we would chase each other around the schoolyard during recess and try to avoid touching the other gender. If we touched the other gender, we had "coodies."

When I got to middle school, a phenomenon swept over my peers: relationships. Before I knew it, half of my friend group was in a relationship. Before I knew it, my friends were telling me about how much they loved their boyfriend. While I was concerned that my love life was lacking because I still hadn't been in a relationship, I wasn't too worried because I was only in middle school; my time would come soon enough, right?

From what we see on Disney Channel, high school is where we find true love, right? Troy and Gabriella met in high school and they were soul mates so that will happen to me, right? Wrong. High school came and went and I was single through all of it. Homecoming came and went and I went with friends every single time because no one seemed interested enough to ask me. Prom came and went and I didn't get a dream promposal and I went solo both years. High school relationships usually don't last because everyone goes their separate ways so college is where I'll meet my soul mate, right?

I made it through freshmen year alive and well and had the time of my life. I got decent grades, made a lot of great friends, and managed to avoid getting my heart broken.

Despite the fact that I am only 19 and still have my entire life ahead of me, sometimes I am convinced that I will be single forever. At an age where it seems like everyone I know is either getting engaged or having babies, it worries me that I haven't even had a boyfriend. By the age of 19, most people have been in a serious relationship. By the age of 19, most people have been in love at least once. I haven't even had a boyfriend yet and I don't foresee a relationship in my future anytime soon.

I will admit, being single in times of homecoming, prom, Valentine's Day, etc. hasn't always been easy. I envied girls who got the perfect promposal or a giant teddy bear and a box of chocolates on Valentine's Day. I envied couples who would post #ManCrushMonday or #WomanCrushWednesday photos of each other every week. At one point, I was convinced there was something wrong with me because years were going by and I was single every one of them. At another point, I was so obsessed with getting a boyfriend that I made a Tinder. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough or putting myself out there enough I was telling myself. Maybe if I just gave people a chance the perfect guy would come around I thought. Wrong.

With 19 years of the single life under my belt, I have learned more than a few things about myself and what I desire.

I don't need a guy prove my worth or make me happy. I know my self-worth and I know how to make myself happy.

I don't need a guy to pick me up when I'm down because I know how to be my own best friend.

I don't need a guy to be dependent on because I have learned how to be independent.

Don't get me wrong: I envy couples who are head over heels for each other. I admire couples who are each other's best friend and who know how to make each other happy. I especially admire women who lean on their man when they need them but know their self-worth and know how to be independent.

While relationships look great from the outside, being single my entire life has allowed me to gain a new perspective on what I want and don't want in a relationship. I have seen so many failed relationships over the years that I know some of the flaws and issues that can ruin them. I'm not a pro, far from it actually, but I know what I want. I have waited so many years for Prince Charming to come along that waiting a few more won't hurt. In the meantime, I can focus on me. I'm still not exactly sure what I want to pursue in the future. I have a major picked out, but I still question my desired career path every now and then. The adventurous spirit in me kicks in every time I watch the travel channel or read a travel magazine. While being in a relationship doesn't limit your chances of traveling, being single will allow me to travel on my own for a bit and figure out what kind of person I want to be and what I want to do with my life.

I have been single my entire life.

It's actually quite embarrassing having to tell your new college friends that you have never been in a relationship. It's even worse when your grandma asks you around the holidays if you've gotten a boyfriend yet, and you awkwardly have to tell her that you've never even gone on a date. Being single your entire life can be awkward and it's not generally the first topic I bring up in a conversation.

I have been single my entire life. It can be embarrassing and awkward and a bit confusing at times, but sometimes, I feel like I'm living the dream.