The Struggle Of Being An Adult With Braces

74

You’re in a bar on a Friday night with all of your friends. You’re all dancing and laughing together, prime targets for groups of boys. Finally, one makes his way to you. He asks your name, and you answer and the slight glimmer of metal hits the lights just right from above your bottom lip. The smile slowly fades from his face, a bead of sweat forms on his forehead and he nervously looks back at his group of friends. He says, “Actually I’m gonna go to the bathroom real quick.” And he heads in any direction away from you.

He figured it out: you have braces. Yes, I am one of the unfortunate college students who still has braces. It’s a struggle every day. Recently, I turned 19-years-old and I went to Verizon to update my phone. I told the man that it was my birthday and he asked me how old I am. He then said, “Oh, wow. I thought 14 at the most.” The problem is real. We are AWBs: adults with braces.

The awkward stage was just perpetuated for us. Everyone else got hit in a two year span with acne, growth spurts, an obsession with Hollister, and braces. Our awkward stage has been extended into adulthood. While all of our friends prance around and flash their smiles, post selfies, and flirt with boys, we stand in the background. Soft smiles aren’t a joke for us.

We are adults, too. When our makeup is on and our hair is done and our mouths are closed we are just as hot as you. At all of our orthodontist appointments the lady asks, “Why do you always pick white rubber bands?” And we look at her with disdain, and solemnly answer, “I’m too old for pink.”

When she takes off our wires we longingly look in the mirror and see a straight, metal-free smile in our grasp, but not close enough to touch. We hold on, knowing that one day we can flash a smile from across the room and participate in Selfie Sunday.

Take a minute, braces-free readers, and thank your parents for dragging you to the orthodontist when you were 12 and slapping braces on your teeth. One day we’ll be like you. Until then, don’t judge a girl in the bar by her braces.