5 Simple Ways To Save The World

5 Simple Ways To Save The World

5 easy ways to lessen your load on Mother Earth.
3

The most important goal of this century, no matter the country and regardless of culture; saving the world from its imminent doom. Without debate, there is nothing more relevant in the year 2016 than personal and communal dedication to raising awareness and involvement in Environmental Sustainability and Conservation. As we continue to harm our only planet with carbon emission, deforestation, and water waste, we push ourselves further and further away from a healthy future. For students here at the University of WI-Milwaukee, we are surrounded by great opportunities to fully immerse yourself in saving Planet Earth and limiting the amount of harm you cause. From small changes in habit to monumental impacts on our environment, it’s never too late to get involved whether you are a green-freak or just learning how to get a start. To help you out, here are a few simple habits anyone can get into to cut back and conserve. (And ultimately save the world!)

1. Get a Reusable Water Bottle!

If you are like me, you always like to have water with you to bring where ever you go. This is a great habit to be in; however, the convenience of plastic water bottles is truthfully terrible for our planet. Try finding a canteen or bottle that you can customize with stickers to cut back on the plastic, and still have water when you need it.

2. Recycle!

Though it seems simple enough, it's sadly not a habit all people have adopted. But it’s just so easy, and impact is incredible. If you do find yourself using plastic, like for a water bottle for example, do the Earth a favor and toss it in the correct bin. The materials can be reused and will not end up in the ground or ocean. Very important.

3. Walk, Bike, Bus!

It all comes back to convenience, doesn't it? Just because you have a car, doesn't mean you no longer have legs. Everything on the East Side is walking distance, and if not, bublr distance! Just google "uwm bublr bikes" to get your free pass! Bublr stationed have popped up all over Milwaukee! In addition, try an always use the bus system when you can, like community car pooling. (Also included in UWM tuition).

4. Shop local!

Buying local products is an often overlooked step in helping to save the world. But think about this; if you drink beer from California, it took more gas to get here than a brew from right here in Milwaukee. In this way, you reduce the emissions you not only use, but "consume" too! This goes for groceries like meat and produce and clothing as well. Farmers markets and Goodwill are great places to start keeping it local.

5. Volunteer!

Reaching out into your own community is perhaps the best and most direct way to truly making an impact. Organizations like Groundwork Milwaukee and Growing Power are always open to volunteer work, and Conservation Club here at UWM is full of opportunities to help out. Projects like gardens, clean ups, and pulls of invasive species are all options when thinking about playing your part in saving the world.