best skin care on the market

How Korean Skincare Methods Helped Me Save My Skin

I used Korean skincare products to rejuvenate my skin--and you can too.

185
https://unsplash.com/photos/ntyA35WOb-k
https://unsplash.com/photos/ntyA35WOb-k

When I was in high school, I used to wear makeup every day. The stress of being accepted by my peers was so high that I felt like I had to put on a mask in order to fit in. But since being in college, I've learned to embrace myself and my unique beauty as well as wearing makeup and taking care of my skin for my own sake. And ever since I got into a regular skin care regimen, I have never felt more comfortable in my skin.

Korean skincare methods and products have been in the headlines for years now. Both Sephora and Ulta have links on their websites specifically for Korean products. These methods and products are known to be intricate, time-consuming and expensive. But, with a little bit of research and commitment, it's easy and fun to get into a great routine that will give results.

The easiest products to start out with are the basics: cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. Yes, skincare routines can be up to ten steps, but let's not go too far too soon. These three basic steps will help to keep your skin hydrated and under control, depending on your skin type. A cleanser is there to take all the impurities out of your skin and leave a clean slate to add on. Toner is meant to add onto the skin and be the first layer of moisturization. Toners here in the States used to be alcohol based, but now, they're turning more toward water-based formulas. And that's what Korean brands have been doing for years; you can find a few great ones here and here.

Photo by Charisse Kenion on

No matter what kind of skin you have, whether it be dry, normal, acne prone or oily, you must use moisturizer. It's used to keep the deep layers of your face moisturized and healthy. It also helps with surface dryness, but its main purpose is to keep your skin hydrated. Drinking enough water and eating healthy foods also helps keep the deep layers of your skin full of moisture.

Picking a specific moisturizer can take a little more time, but a few rules of thumb help with this decision. For dryer skin, it's best to have something creamy and thicker, especially in the winter months. For more oily or normal skin types, a water-based, lighter moisturizer will be your best friend. Personally, I use Laneige's Water Bank Hydrating Gel during the warmer months and Laneige's cream version when it gets cold and dry.

Now that you've got the basics down, you can explore extras steps like serums, creams, oils, essence and pore minimizers. My personal favorite is all the incredibly cute sheet masks you can but for a few dollars that have animal faces on them. There are also different ways you can apply certain products such as the 7 Skin method, which includes applying seven layers of toner to the skin in one go. There's a whole world out there when it comes to skincare, and Korean products are just one of many methods you can use to make your skin look flawless. Within a year, I have less acne, smaller pores, very little dryness, and a more even complexion. It's like magic, so start your journey today!