12 Signs You Go (Or Went) To UTC

12 Signs You Go (Or Went) To UTC

1412
12 Signs You Go (Or Went) To UTC
US News

From its awesome location (we've already established that Chattanooga is great) to its small college feel and dedicated professors, UTC has a lot going for it. I'm proud to be a Moc!Here are 12 almost universal truths that any student of UTC, past, present or future, will nod their heads in appreciation to.

1. You still manage to gain that freshman 15, even with all of those hills on campus.

When I first saw campus I thought there was no way I would gain that freshman 15. Heck, I would get my cardio in for the day just with my morning trip from South Campus to my 9 a.m.

Despite all of the walking and major heart-pumping trips from dorm to class, to Crossroads, a semester later and you somehow still manage to gain those freshman fifteen.

2. You seriously love our new library.

If you're new, you love our new library. If you've been around for a few years, you have an even deeper appreciation for it because it doesn't smell like old socks and mildew. If you're an alumnus, you at least have a pretty visual of what all of those tuition dollars went towards.

3. You've become a professional at sniffing out open parking spots.

You're a warrior at fighting for spaces and have been known to get creative when on a time crunch. There is a sheer determination to make that general parking pass worth something.

4. You have probably paid more for parking tickets than you paid for your parking pass.

On the days those skills still don't work, you play a fun game of, "Will I get a parking ticket today?" More times than not, you lose this game, but you're still hoping the odds will be in your favor.

5. What happened to those bells?

You don't know if Patten Chapel stopped ringing their bell, or if you just don't hear it anymore.

6. There's a chance you've taken a final or a midterm in the cemetery; because, bomb threats.

Just because someone else wasn't ready for that cumulative exam doesn't mean you're willing to stress another day over it. Who says gravestones don't make good chairs?

7. You can smell the UC before you see it.

Depending on the day, that smell is glorious, or you feel like you've wasted a cheat day just breathing in the calories.

8. Cardiac stairs?

You've been around a really long time if you remember when cardiac hill was just a hill, not cardiac stairs. You could also tell the second (or third) year seniors from the freshmen by who were tripping up the stairs.

9. You don't mess with the seals.

Four or five years later, and you still don't step on the seals. Myth or not, you're not willing to risk it. Because who wants to fail their next test, or class, or life?

10. You are always prepared for whatever the Chattanooga weather might bring.

Your closet is an arsenal of rain boots, rain jackets and sweaters. Layers are your best friends. It might be 40 degrees when you get to campus, but by lunch time you'll wish you were in shorts and a tank.

11. You are actually surprised to learn that Chuck Cantrell is a real person and not a robot filling up your inboxes.

12. You try to avoid eye contact with all of the dead animals in the lobby of Holt Hall.

Those beady eyes still freak you out. All in the name of science, right?