8 Signs That You Grew Up In A Very Small Town

Small towns are a great place to live but there is something unique about very small towns that makes them different from the rest.

23
AND NORTH

There's a difference between a small town and a very small town. Small towns tend to have stoplights, or more than one place to eat. They probably have more than one school and more than one "block". But both are completely unique in their own ways and what makes the general idea of a small town such a great place to live.

1. If you didn't live on a farm, you probably worked on one.

If you didn't grow up shoveling manure or moving hay bales on your own farm, then you probably did it on someone else's farm. Not only did you work there, you probably volunteered on occasion.

2. Your school bus probably stopped for some sort of animal on the road, especially farm related animals.

Not only did the bus stop for a loose dog on the road, but probably stopped for other animals. Deer and turkey were common, but so were cows, and sheep wondering the back roads. This wasn't anything new to students though as this was probably a common sight.

3. You know your teachers too well, and probably even their kids.

Not only did you know your teachers by first and last name, but you probably knew their kids pretty well, too. You might have class with them or even babysit for them on occasion.

4. Everyone knows everyone. Literally.

No secret can be hidden. No "inside jokes" can be made. Everyone knows that rumor and probably knows it isn't true too. Doesn't stop them from spreading it though.

5. Both students and teachers skipped school on opening day of hunting season.

Opening day of hunting season might as well have been a holiday. Not only did students not show up, but teachers would take a personal day too. This day was too important for a large portion of your small town.

6. Snow days were rarely a thing because everyone knew someone who could plow their way to school.

Not many people walk to school, so the cold was rarely an issue. When snow became a factor you could just call your neighbor with the pickup truck and hefty snow tires to come plow you out. If plows didn't run in the morning then your neighbors probably got it.

7. When a new business opened up it was marked on everyone's calendars.

New businesses were such a rarity that this would become the new "buzz" in your town. People would be excited for new job opportunities and one less reason to travel 20 extra miles to an actual city for what they need.

8. You knew whose dog, cat, horse, cow, or goat was wondering on your property and who to call to get them back home.

If you had a dog or random cow wondering your property you probably knew who it belonged to. Even without a collar or name tag you could probably identify the owner and already had phone number to get a hold of them.