23 Signs You're In A Toxic Relationship

23 Signs Your Relationship Is Toxic And You're Not 'Crazy'

I know you don't want to admit it, I never wanted to either, but your gut knows the reality.

507

Even though it was years ago, my mom randomly called me yesterday and apologized for not seeing all the red flags that were blaring in a previous relationship of mine. I stopped her in her tracks as I said the past is in the past and it always goes like that.

We don't want to see the toxic traits in our relationship. No matter how many times we experience red flags, it's hard to accept. It's easier to make excuses and look the other way than see all the bad things in a relationship that has become a part of you. But, the longer you stay in a toxic relationship, the more you start feeling like you're as "crazy" as they may or may not make you feel.

We all want a fairytale, but when our relationship is driving us up a wall, it's easier to blame yourself than the other person. I'm here to remind you that you are not crazy, but your relationship is toxic, and you deserve better. Better yet, you will find something magical!

I know you don't want to admit it, I never wanted to either, but your gut knows the reality. It's time to accept the truth and show life who's boss.

We can always look back and see the toxic signs of our broken relationships, but it's time to stand up to them right now. Here are 23 signs you should look out for:

Your partner controls who you see and who your friends are.

You are constantly interrogated and questioned.

You're always walking on eggshells attempting not to push their buttons.

You're the only one compromising.

Aggression has become an integral part in your partnership.

Your partner checks your location all the time with the intention to control your whereabouts.

Your partner has a lack of empathy for your feelings.

Your partner makes excuses after excuses after excuses.

Passive aggressive comments have become a norm.

Your partner constantly asks your friends and family where you are.

There is a mutual avoidance and mutual disrespect.

You always hear the words, "I'll change" or "I'll get better."

They are always checking your phone or prying about who you are talking to.

You're dating a narcissist.

SEE ALSO: 7 Signs The Guy You're Dating Is A Total Narcissist

There are secrets on both sides of the relationship.

You are keeping score of who did what and who said what.

Your partner controls what you wear.

You don't like talking to one another.

They're abusive (physically, mentally, and/or verbally) — sometimes without even realizing.

You're not included in big decisions.

You're no longer an individual, but have become just a girlfriend, boyfriend, or partner.

They control how you behave.

There is a lack of trust.

No matter the evident signs, sometimes it's hard to get out of a toxic relationship.

If you or a friend are experiencing abuse, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233

Follow Swoon on Instagram.