Anxiety Isn't Always Hyperventilating And Panic Attacks

A guide for those who know someone suffering with anxiety.

941
Paola Chaaya on Unsplash

Anxiety, there's nothing plain or easy about it. It is out of one's control. What may seem like normal everyday tasks and routines to others are often challenges and added stress to those facing this disorder? Anxiety comes in different levels and at different times for everyone. The signs of an attack coming are more than just someone hyperventilating and being in a sheer panic. Although these are forms of anxiety, it can come in other ways.

Here are 5 other ways anxiety manifests itself in the ones you love.

1. Becoming obsessive

Anxiety can make someone feel as though nothing is right. They begin to over analyze things. A few ways someone can express obsessive behavior is through nail-biting, twirling hair, or picking at dead skin. They may continuously clean or redo things until they are satisfied.

2. Mood changes

Someone with anxiety can go from feeling completely normal to being on edge. They can quickly become upset or feel as though someone is calling them out or making fun of them. Don't try to pry too much if they seem off. Ask questions, or give them space and reassurance as to not cause them to lash out.

3. More emotional than usual

Those who face an anxiety attack are often mentally or emotionally exhausted causing any or every little thing to trigger an attack. Emotions can be a whirling roller coaster at times, especially when trying to balance others and not just our own.

4. Losing focus and zoning out

Anxiety causes millions of thoughts to run through someone's head at once. It's hard to silence what is consuming our minds.

5. Being silent

Some people on a day-to-day basis are very social and always talking with others, but other times they can become withdrawn or silent. Maybe try to get them to get their mind off things, but don't push them to do so.