Why Joining Sigma Alpha Iota Was One Of The Best Decisions I've Made In College

This sisterhood is "so near and so dear" to my heart.

320
Savannah Thomas

Coming to college, I never dreamed that I would end up joining a Greek organization. I always thought they were overrated and, quite frankly, pointless. That was, of course, before I joined marching band and met some of the best people I've ever met in my life.

There are 3 fraternities in the School of Music here at WVU: Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (all-male fraternity), Kappa Kappa Psi (co-ed fraternity), and Sigma Alpha Iota (all-female fraternity). I know what you're thinking, sisters of a fraternity? It's complicated, and I've had to explain it way too many times to people. Anyhow, the sisters of Sigma Alpha Iota invited me to join in on recruitment events in my spring semester of my freshman year, so on a whim I decided to attend a few with my friends. I'm so glad I did.

Sigma Alpha Iota (SAI) is a national music and service fraternity for women, striving to uphold the highest standards of music and service. We often do service projects, donate to charities (SAI Philanthropies, INC.), and do music outreach in our community. Just recently, our chapter at WVU sang at a local nursing home for the residents, and they want us to come back for Christmas caroling. You never know just how much music can impact someone else's life until you do things like this. It's humbling and truly an honor to be able to share your talents with others and bring joy to other people.

Not only do we do so much for our community and our school, but we do a lot for each other. I've met some of my best friends through SAI, some of which aren't even in marching band. We meet every week, and often meet outside of official SAI duties to spend time together. For example, last week we met for a Thanksgiving potluck where everyone contributed a dish for one big Thanksgiving meal. It began with us making construction paper hand-turkeys for the residents at the nursing home we sang at, and ended with most of us in tears, tangled up in yard because we wanted to let everyone know how much we meant to each other.

Personally, I've gained so much from this organization already. I've made new friends, experienced new music, and have been able to do service projects and music outreach I wouldn't have done otherwise. I also got to take a little this semester, which has been amazing! She's perfect in every single way, and I am so excited that I get to help her on her journey of becoming a sister! It's one of the most rewarding things I've done in this organization so far, and I can't wait until she's finally a sister.

I am an English major with a sincere love for music and I am just as welcome into this sisterhood as a music major would be. These are some of the most loving, kind, accepting sisters I have ever met in my life and I am so proud to call myself a sister of Sigma Alpha Iota.