Side Effect Of College: People-Sickness

Side Effect Of College: People-Sickness

Homesickness is a common side effect experienced with college, but I have experienced people-sickness.

902
Side Effect Of College: People-Sickness
Alley Avery

A major side effect most people mention about college is homesickness. Whether an hour drive from home or a 22-hour flight, homesickness seems to be the most renown feeling when away at college. Being homesick can be defined as the longing for one's home during a period away from it.

People miss their beds, the neighborhood they lived in, the one stop light in town, and the tree in their front yard. I, on the other hand, could do without all that. I miss people--I am "people sick."

The woman who cooked my dinner was not my mom. The girl I am sharing the bathroom with is not my sister. My dresser drawer fell off the track, and I can't ask my dad to help me fix it.

One of my most favorite things in the entire world is a hug from my mother. I have lived receiving one every single day--now, while away at college, I have to go months without one. I do not have the joy of making my sister laugh every single day, nor am I able to ride in the car with her to and from school.

I miss arguing with my sister over whose shirt I am wearing and being able to talk to her about the funny thing that happened in class. I miss my dad's facial expressions after trying my mom's chili when she forgot to add chili powder.

I miss talking to him about old-time country singers. I miss my niece and nephew--being able to listen to a four-year-old ramble on about Lightning McQueen and Jackson Storm. I miss my aunt telling me about her Walmart adventures and of her day. I miss people. I miss MY people.

My major side effect after attending college is people-sickness. But, this experience has led me to better cherish my time spent with the people I care about. I absorb every minute I get to spend with them. I have realized to never take a moment for granted. Sometimes, it is not until you go months without someone that you realize how much they mean to you.