Why I’m Sick Of Every Article Dedicated To Girls In Their 20s

In your 20s, there’s a lot more to life than finding the one.

20

I log on to one of my favorite websites. The website is all articles targeted at college aged to mid-twenties women. I check this website pretty frequently, especially when I am having writer’s block. It often gives me ideas for my own articles. So, today and I did that same thing. I logged on and clicked through the first couple pages. The article titles read:

In Losing You, I found myself.

14 Women share the exact moment they knew their current boyfriend was interested in them.

To the girls who settle for a love that doesn’t deserve them.

After a noticed a re-occurring pattern, I kept scrolling. This trend went on for pages, and pages, and pages. Why in the world was every single article directed at 20-year-old girls about love? Seriously, what is that about?

At 20 years old I feel like I have my whole life ahead of me. In the scale of adult life, I am just an infant. Sure, I’m halfway through with college, and I’m figuring out what I want to do for the rest of my life. At the same time, I’m still trying to figure out who I am. Trying to figure what makes me, me. Who I am separate from my parents or friends. And in trying to figure all of this, I live in a society which tells me I should be on the constant search for “the one”. I feel like everyone I am around is getting engaged or catching wedding fever. It seems like I’m surrounded by people who are so ready for their lives to begin. I on the other hand, sometimes run around my house for a half an hour looking for my other shoe. I can barely keep track of my daily life, let alone having to account for another person.

I’m no way trying to sound judgmental for the people that are ready to settle down. If you’ve found the one and you’re ready, then more power to you.

But for everyone out there like me, you're not alone. I'm sick of love being slapped in my face 24/7 and feeling like I need to get married right now. When in all reality, I'm not ready to be married. I'm far from wanting to settle for the rest of my life. I want to travel, and feed the hungry. I want to write a book, and go skydiving. I want to live a life of adventure, all by myself, before I live it with someone else.