When A Sister Leaves Her Siblings To Go To College

7 Way Too Emotional Thoughts Every Sister Leaving A Younger Sibling For College Knows Too Well

At home, you always have an automatic friend, but will you be able to find people as enjoyable as your siblings?

70

Leaving family behind when going off to college is never easy, even when it's your third time doing it. It's made especially harder when leaving behind younger siblings, who you're very close to and just spent the whole summer together. If it's your first time heading to school, it's even more difficult because it's probably the longest time you'll go without seeing them and the first time living without them. If you're having a lot of feelings about leaving them behind, this one's for you.

1. Am I going to get lonely without them?

A big fear of going away to school, especially if you don't know anyone else going in, is if you're going to find friends and have people to talk to. At home, you always have an automatic friend, but will you be able to find people as enjoyable as your siblings?

2. Who's going to jam out to all our favorite songs with me?

You've spent 18+ years hanging out, screaming songs in the car with them, but how will you find someone you connect with as well as your family quickly enough? Will you be able to find someone with the same music taste as yourself and your siblings?

3. Will I have people to eat with like at home?

When you eat at home, you're either surrounded by family or not uncomfortable eating alone because you're just sitting at home. But at school, you'll likely head to the dining hall, always surrounded by others. You may feel self-conscious eating alone, and it's natural to worry about. You'll soon find friends to eat with or just hopefully get more comfortable eating alone!

4. I'm going to cry so much when I leave them

It's hard to imagine not getting to see them every day and you'll probably be an emotional wreck. While it'll probably be very hard at first to adjust to life without them every day, it'll become easier over time as you make friends and find the balance between missing them and enjoying school. It'll also make the times you get to go home so much better.

5. Who's going to listen to all of my problems?

You might use your sibling as an at-home therapist and they help you through all of your problems on a daily basis. Thanks to technology, at least you will be able to text or Facetime them as much as possible, but a good hug and time together won't be as frequent.

6. Who's going to give me approval on my fashion choices?

Having a younger sibling, especially a younger sister, gives you a personal stylist to always check that you're looking good or that your outfit makes sense. Not living with them means that you don't get that person to give you some feedback, but hopefully, you'll get an opportunity to Facetime them for opinions or if you develop a relationship with friends or your roommate you can have in-person opinions as well!

7. I'm not sure how I'll make it through

You might feel like it'll be very hard to survive the school year away from your family, especially your younger sibling. I know it'll be tough at first, but I promise that you'll adjust after a while and find ways to miss your siblings but still be comfortable and have fun at school.

Good luck with your upcoming school year! I know it'll be emotional not having your siblings around for company and support, but you'll soon adjust!