Sia Is The Mental Illness Advocate We Need

Swinging from the chandelier into activism

1482
Mirror

Especially after coming back onto the popular music scene in 2014 with her album 1000 Forms of Fear, Sia has been one of the most outspoken feminists for mental health awareness and to combat the stigma associated with mental illness. Since 2001 when she released her album, Healing Is Difficult, she began to speak frankly about her mental issues and others people might face. Instead of using mental illness to sell singles and produce albums, she has used her personal experiences to reduce the stigma of both having mental illnesses as well as opening up about them and getting help.

While some of her earlier works like "Drink to Get Drunk" and "Don't Bring Me Down," as well as more recent ones like the hit "Chandelier," she openly speaks about her struggles with drugs and alcohol. For college students and every adult in general, talking openly about substance abuse and addiction is imperative. She doesn't talk down about people suffering from these diseases and goes as far to humanize them—but she still makes an important note to non-addicts to be wary of substance abuse. One of the largest parts of "Chandelier" is that she talks about "the shame" that comes with these illnesses; this is both societal and internal and should be validated so people like this find guidance.

Since 2001 (and likely before) Sia has been criticizing male-dominated spaces, objectification, and rape culture with lines like "...And I'm truly sick to death of sleazy men undressing me with their eyes." By putting the song "Chandelier" from the perspective of the "party girl," she acknowledges not just mental illnesses, but also the experiences of a woman and validates them. While it does not explicitly talk about the experiences as a woman with mental illnesses, "Bird Set Free" with lyrics like "Yes, there's a scream inside that we all try to hide," she finds resilience and power through her music and her humanity.

Ms. Furler has shown her face much less in the past several years since the release of 1000 Forms of Fearbecause of her past with alcoholism and mental illness and has made a clear popular culture impact—not just on her own image in the media, but also for people to reach out and get help for themselves and advocate for others. Her music brings awareness and attempt to prevent suicide because of her personal experience, and she is trying everything in her music as well as her songs for other artists to make the world a healthier and happier place.

But don't take my word for it; check her music out!