9 Shows That Had No Right Being Canceled

While some shows get to live on for far too long, these great shows were nipped in the bud way too soon.

100

There are many great shows with an abundant amount of seasons (some maybe too many) to satisfy our every need. However, some shows with great potential barely got to see the light of day before they were unjustly canceled. I have compiled a list of some of my favorite shows that I believed were canceled way too soon.

The New Normal

I first stumbled upon this show when it first came out in 2012. As someone who was not a huge fan of sitcoms, I was not sure if I would enjoy it, but I was intrigued by the progressive storyline and decided to give it a try. For those of you who are not familiar with the show (which is probably most of you, since NBC did an abysmal job at promoting it), the show follows couple Bryan and David as they prepare to start their own family, thanks to their surrogate mother Goldie.

There were so many aspects of this show that made it so enjoyable and heartwarming. The show was brilliantly cast with Andrew Rannells (Book of Mormon, A Simple Favor) and Justin Bartha (The Hangover series) as the lead roles. The writing was equally moving and humorous, and used humor to teach lessons about tolerance. However, it was too much too soon and was nipped in the bud after one season. "The New Normal" isn't currently on any streaming platforms, but it is available for rent on Amazon.

In the Flesh

Many Americans reading this probably have never heard of this wonderful show. By this putting it on this list, I might have ulterior motives involving introducing this show to some new viewers. This show was a product of the BBC Three, a sister channel of BBC. This show followed Kieren Walker, a survivor of PDS (Partially Deceased Syndrome), or what most of us call it: being turned into a zombie. The show takes place a few years after "The Rising," an event that saw millions of people rising from their graves as zombies.

However, "In the Flesh" does not focus on the living and them having to survive a zombie apocalypse; instead, the show focuses on the "zombies" after they are restored to their original human state and re-assimilated into society. This show was wonderfully constructed and incorporated without being too obvious, some commentary on modern day society and how we receive people from outside our own communities. However, in 2016, BBC Three got the chop and so did "In the Flesh," which is particularly devastating because the last show episode ended on a cliffhanger. The show is available to stream on Hulu.

Smash

To those of you who have actually seen the show, you will probably think this show should not be included on this list, but let me explain. "Smash" was a show about creating a musical centered around the life of Marilyn Monroe. As someone who loves musicals but could not care less about Marilyn Monroe, I went into this show with mixed feelings. However, when I watched the show, I fell in love with the songs created for the musical within the show and found myself attached to the characters.

Now I can't ignore the obvious issues with the show--such as lackluster writing, unimportant storylines, and some flat characters--but I felt the show had enough there that with enough guidance, they could clean it up and make it quite a compelling show. It was renewed for a second season with an all-new creative team, but this is where my faith for the show left. New characters that were not dynamic at all were introduced, as well as a new musical that to this day I do not understand the plot of. This show was just a missed opportunity to create another fun musical show. Although, they are currently taking the best element of the show (the Marilyn musical) and adapting it into a real musical to be opened on Broadway, so at least something good came out of it. Streaming of the show is available through NBC's website.

Everything Sucks!

Following the success of "Stranger Things," Netflix decided to continue the vintage style shows and released "Everything Sucks!" which takes place in the 90's. The show follows a simple plot set in Boring, Oregon, where high school freshman and aspiring filmmaker Luke O'Neil falls for sophomore Kate Messner and inadvertently becomes involved with the rival theater kids, leading to them making a ridiculous movie together.

Everything about this show was fun. I can say with absolute certainty I fell in love with every character, and I found their awkward maneuvers through high school endearing and relatable. Getting to see all the 90's memorabilia and songs was a bonus as well. Everything about this show was quirky and entertaining, yet Netflix struck it down after only one season. The canceling of this show is one of the greatest tragedies of the modern age.

Crashing (UK)

For those of you who are a fan of the U.S. television show "Crashing," you probably just had a mini heart attack reading that title. The U.S. show is still on and popping, but alas, the lesser-known UK show of the same title is no more. The plot of the U.K. version seems very generic, as it is about a bunch of very different people living together in an abandoned hospital to have a lower rent. However, the cast of characters is so eclectic and eccentric that they draw you in from the minute the show starts until the very end of the last episode. I found myself become enamored with the lives of these characters while laughing my head off at every turn. This show is truly a fun time, and I am devasted that I will no longer get to follow the lives of these brilliant characters. Sadly, there are only six 20 minute episodes, but they are all available to stream on Netflix.

Twin Peaks

How could I not put the stunning and provocative "Twin Peaks" on this list? Another show with a plot that seems simple, this show follows Special Agent Dale Cooper as he is sent to the small town of Twin Peaks to investigate the murder of homecoming queen, Laura Palmer. However, this show was anything but simple as it went from bizarre to even more bizarre until the viewer had no clue what to believe.

When this show came out in the early 90's, it was so strange and original it immediately gained a large following. Yet after the second season was released, it was canceled due to declining ratings. The show has since developed a cult following and remains quite popular to this day. While a movie that served as a prequel was released shortly after the show was canceled, as well as a 2017 sequel made 25 years after the release of the original show, neither film holds a candle to the insane original series. The entire show can be streamed on Netflix, so I highly recommend you get to binge watching!

Selfie

I'd wager very few people reading this have ever heard of "Selfie," since it had a short-lived run on television. This show was a modern retelling of the popular musical "My Fair Lady." Airing in 2014, "Selfie" followed modern Eliza Doolittle and Henry Higgins as Henry tries to teach social media-obsessed Eliza how to connect with real people, not just followers online. "Selfie" originally aired on ABC, but due to undesirable ratings, the show was canceled before the first season was even finished airing; the remaining episode were uploaded to Hulu. As someone who followed the show from the very first episode until the end, I was devastated once it was over, as I had become so attached to the fun and lovable characters. All episodes are still available to stream on Hulu however, so binge on!

Jane By Design

I stumbled upon this show back when "Pretty Little Liars" was my obsession, since "Jane by Design" was a fellow ABC Family (now renamed Freeform) show. This show followed Jane Quimby, a teenage aspiring fashion designer who manages to land her dream job working with an esteemed fashion executive. However, she landed the job by lying about her age, and no one she works with knows she is a high school student. While the plot is wildly unrealistic, this was a staple for pretty much every show on ABC Family at the time. It was fun and witty, and when it ended I was extremely frustrated because it ended with a cliffhanger! That ending will haunt me to my dying days, but that should not deter you from watching this great show! It is available to stream on Hulu.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Of everything on this list, "Kimmy Schmidt" is the most recently canceled and ran for a total of four seasons, longer than any other on this list. However, it does not feel as if this show was at a place where it would be a good time to end it. This Netflix original followed Kimmy Schmidt, a woman who was kidnapped by the leader of a doomsday cult and trapped in a bunker for fifteen years after she is freed and has to assimilate back into society--after having missed fifteen years worth of history. While the premise may sound grim, this show was created by comedian Tina Fey so you can bet it is packed with a ton of laughs. This show takes such a dark concept and manages to make it lighthearted and hilarious.

However, Netflix recently decided this show would be no more and canceled it. This came as a surprise to viewers, as no one expected it, considering many storylines felt unfinished. Netflix has, however, teased the possibility of a movie based on the show in order to give the beloved characters a proper farewell. All episodes are available to stream on Netflix.