7 Things That Showing Horses Has Taught Me

From the arena to real life, I've learned a lot.

216
Allison Wakefield

I grew up showing horses from a young age. When I say "showing horses" I don't mean barrel racing and speed events. I mean showmanship, western please, working ranch horse pleasure and trial classes to name a few.

It is a difficult concept to explain to people what I do if they have never been to a horse show but it's something valuable about my childhood that has taught me many things through the years.

These abilities have no transferred from my showing life into my job as now being a horse judge and even my career development.

1. Patience

Showing horses has taught me so much patience. Whether it be through waiting on a judge to arrive at a show or making a decision within the arena. The ability for me to keep showing in a class and have that continuous focus while the judge continues to circle horses and take notes for a class has helped throughout every aspect of my life.

You can never have too much patience in life, things come with time and great things, like getting first in your class, take time to. I never expect to just walk into a class and automatically get first, it takes time and effort to take that first place blue ribbon and it is always well worth the wait.

2. Practice

Practice; you can never have too much of it. You are never the master of anything, no matter what level you are at, you can always improve on your skills. I pride myself in being really good at showmanship, but I know I am never the best showman. I am constantly working and trying to get better in my events. A quote I like to live by when I practice is this:

"Show like you've never lost. Practice like you've never won."

This quote stays in my mind when I'm in the practice arena and the show ring. It reminds to work hard and push my horse and I's limits in practice, to work on the things we aren't good at and make them better. It also teaches me to have confidence in the arena.

3. Never done moving forward

If you care about it, you work for it. Success is well worth the wait. When success does happen, you achieve those goals you never thought possible, that moment is surreal, It's awe-inspiring.

When you think you've hit the very top of your game, you can always start fresh with another horse and begin again. Always continue improving your skill and achieving great things.

4. Confidence

Back to the quote "show like you've never lost," it reminds me to have confidence in my showing ability. The thing I notice as much as a judge as I did a rider is confidence. As a judge, when I see a confident rider, it draws my attention and makes me take a second look.

Having the confidence in yourself, your abilities and your horse's ability is extremely important. Being confident in your actions is something you can always pride yourself with.

5. Being prepared

This is applicable in every situation at any point in your life. During a horse show, it isn't surprising if you have tack break or the show order changes. Being ready and prepared with an extra set of reins or already knowing what your pattern is, pays off.

When I showed, I always kept my patterns folded and inside my shirt, the judge never saw my patterns but I knew I had them right on hand if I needed them.

One day at a show a horsemanship pattern was set up wrong, the girl that was supposed to go first freaked out because the pattern was wrong. Being prepared as I was, I was able to correct the judge on the pattern and have it changed. But the girl in front of me still didn't know her pattern.

The judge became frustrated and asked if anyone was ready, I was. I got first in that class because I prepared and ready for whatever was thrown at me.

6. Appearance is only skin deep

Appearances aren't everything. Though it does help to wear a flashy shirt and have a lot of silver on your saddle, it means nothing if you can't perform. Just because you show up in a new truck and crisp new trailer, doesn't mean you're going to win every event.

It is good to dress for the job you want and wanting to draw the judges attention, but you need to have the experience behind you to complete the pattern or the assignment you are given.

I used to show with a ranch horse gelding, something that is drastically different from the thin and tall pleasure horses I showed against. Although I wore just a plain pearl-snap shirt, I would still when a class because I had the experience behind me of busting my butt in practice to complete a pattern carefully and accurately.

Today as a judge, I take note of the people and their attire, but I don't judge by appearances. Even in my professional field, I never judge anyone by their appearances, because you never know what they are capable of.

7. Friendships and connections are made anywhere

When I showed horses I traveled around east central Kansas and Western Missouri, I also traveled to district horse shows, state fair and the American Royal. At those shows, I met so many different types of people and horses. I have kept those connections with people I see a lot and have developed life-long friendships.

Currently, I am serving as a supervisor for the Little American Royal at Kansas State University. LAR is an event for K-State students to sign up for a species of animal, beef, dairy, sheep, goat, horse and swine. The contestants are sorted by experience level with showing that species: novice and advanced.

The students pick their animal out from the research units at K-State and have three weeks to work with the animals to compete in a showmanship competition during open house weekend.

The fun thing about being a supervisor is that my co-supervisor is someone I have met through horse shows! I am also meeting so many other K-State students that have an interest in horses and showing them.

Their variety of experience levels makes my experience even more fun, I can talk about the intricate aspects and qualities of showmanship with the advanced showman. While I teach the basics to a student who has never shown a horse before.

It is extremely rewarding to see the improvement everyone is making with their horses and to know that I have a part in their success.