Showing My Appreciation For Cazenovia's Brae Loch Inn

Great place, great scenery, great food, great memories.

30
Haunted History Trail

At the start of the school year, I always try to ask the first-year students what they think of the village of Cazenovia. General responses vary: small, boring, perfect, quaint, and quiet are the usual suspects. However, “beautiful” is a word that almost every freshman uses to describe their feelings towards Cazenovia. They always mention how gorgeous the lake looks that particular afternoon. They also talk about how cute and charming Albany Street is with all the small shops and restaurants. The equine freshmen always say how beautiful the Equine Center is and how stunning the horses look as they run around on some of the greenest grass in town. The Brae Loch Inn seems to be another place that always gets a shout-out from the incoming students. I can relate to these students because the Brae Loch has been a very significant place to me since freshman year, due to its beauty and my own personal experiences there.

The Brae Loch Inn is located on the corner of Albany Street and Forman Street. It is one of the first buildings that people coming from Syracuse see as they enter the town. It is nearly impossible to miss the place. The building is three stories high, has a huge front lawn with a dozen or so dinner tables, and is surrounded by a long brown fence that separates the cool dinner atmosphere from the hectic rush hour traffic on Albany Street. The building itself is painted a dark, forest-like brown with green shutters as if its founders intended to make it blend in within surrounding trees.

I love the Brae Loch for its aesthetic appearance from the outside, but the interior is where the true beauty is. There are three main dining areas. There is a fancy dining room on the ground floor, a dining area outside, and an area in the basement, which features more table set-ups and a Scottish bar. Each table is decorated with fine china and lit by candlelight. The wait staff is usually dressed in white shirts and kilts, which add to the Scottish traditionalism of the restaurant. Throughout these areas, the walls are decked with Scottish knick-knacks and artwork. There are also historic pictures of the town and the restaurant that signify their importance to the owners and locals. Visitors who may be at the Brae Loch for the night will find the same decorative interior throughout the upstairs hallways and rooms. I had never before been to a place that takes such pride in the history and culture of the area. I feel like most inns similar the Brae Loch have succumbed to modernization, which I find disappointing.

The beauty of the Brae Loch certainly adds to its appeal, but my past experiences are what truly make the inn special to me. I did not visit Cazenovia College until after I sent in my acceptance letter, therefore I did not know what to expect. I first saw campus the day before my summer orientation. I remember walking up to the clock and looking around at all the buildings. To most people, the campus seems small, but because I came from a much smaller town, I still felt dazed. I remember feeling nervous, intrigued and excited all at once. It was one of the most memorable times when I had such intense mixed-feelings. After looking around the campus a little more we went to peruse the bookstore and talk to the people in admissions. I remember my father asking Brett, an admissions worker, about the restaurants in the area. Brett highly suggested the Brae Loch to us, so we decided to go check it out.

We arrived and I was stunned at both the outside and inside scenery. I could tell it was a local favorite just by how big and accommodating it seemed. The wait staff was extremely friendly and the artwork on the walls fueled my curiosity. The ambiance, the staff, and the food drastically took the stress out of my mind. As I sat in the front dining room eating my scrumptious chicken sandwich and looking out at the lake in the distance, I knew that everything was going to be okay and that I had found my new home.

Every time I visit the Brae Loch, I remember that summer day in August. Those same feelings of being lost and stressed come back to me as if I was a freshman again but disappear as soon as I get the sample platter of their signature homemade bread and take in the aromas of the succulent food. I have frequented many other places in Cazenovia for dinner, such as Caz Pizza, Owahgena’s Pizzeria, Junior’s Bar, and Les Pâtes et Les Nouilles. They all have good food and service, but none of these places have had the same effect on me that the Brae Loch has. None of these places feel as reassuring or as welcoming to me as the Brae Loch does. The bottom line is that none of these places remind me that I am home.

The Brae Loch Inn serves great food and has great ambiance, but I do not go to the restaurant for the food and scenery. I go to remember that when things may seem a little uneasy, they will always work themselves out because I am home. Every time I drive or walk by the Brae Loch, I feel calm and joyous. Just like most Cazenovia College students I love walking to the lake. However, my favorite part of visiting the lake is not the lake itself, rather it is getting the opportunity to pass by the inn. I cannot help but gaze at the building’s looming architecture and salivate at the smell of their bar menu. It is fascinating how a simple restaurant has had such a dramatic impact on my experiences and memories in Cazenovia. I always make sure to return at least once a semester so I can give back to the establishment that will never know how important it is to me.