This Is Why You Shouldn't Focus On Losing Weight

There is no harm on loving your body... no harm on loving yourself.

117
Owl Admission Blog - Rice

Being really thin, or being really fat. It is quite hard to believe how quickly your body can change between these two. Of course, sometimes these changes are for the better, but how you get to these changes can lead to something even worse. While being overweight can pose problems, solutions for weight loss cause an even greater harm. I could say it’s actually sometimes better for you to gain weight than to lose it. Dieting can actually cause more harm than good to teenagers. A lot of people argue, and believe, that obesity is a health problem that needs to be fixed with diets and exercise as soon as possible. They claim that diets lead to a “healthy lifestyle” and that dieting and exercise are always the way to help you lose weight. I disagree. Obesity or being overweight is not always the problem. However, the methods to deal with it it are the problem. The cycles of losing and regaining weight are the primary cause of the diseases, not obesity. The problem is in the way people try to get out of obesity. Attitudes about obesity are actually more harmful than obesity itself. It is important to stay healthy, but weight loss through diets and exercise are not always the healthiest of options. A lot of people believe that diet, exercise and even pills can help people lose weight. However, diet, exercise and pills are largely ineffective! Constantly starting diets and obsessing over exercise does not necessarily result in weight loss. When an overweight person loses weight through diet and exercise, the brain goes into what is called, “panic mode” - creating an even greater drive to eat. Weight loss with diets and exercises also doesn’t work, because these methods cause your body to change its “set weight point”, and it's unhealthy for this point to be inconsistent. The more weight you lose, the harder it gets to stay the same or keep losing weight throughout your life. In the end, you end up fighting your own body to keep from gaining the weight back. Due to this, a lot of people let their diets be controlled by frustrations and stress. I am sure, that I wouldn’t consider that a “healthy lifestyle”. Additionally, let’s not get into the topic of how harmful pills, specially pills for weight loss can harm you. Dieting can cause serious harm, and it is not even worth it as many times, the results aren’t even what we expect them to be. Obesity itself is not the greatest health problem. Diet and exercise cannot always help you to lose weight, and diets do not create a healthier lifestyle for everyone! Love your body… love yourself. None of you need any harmful diets or activities to be “thinner” or “prettier”. You are all beautiful.