Feeling Guilty For Having A Lot Of Accomplishments

You Shouldn't Feel Guilty For Accomplishing Something Huge When Your Friends Are Struggling

Sometimes I feel guilty about a lot of success. Weird, right?

11
Suit

I work at a sports bar, and I hear about every bad and horrible thing that's ever happened to all of my coworkers and how hard they have to work to get by. However, I find it very hard to relate to them—I'm a full-time college student in a sorority. I've been a hard worker my whole life, demonstrated by my ability to make the Dean's list or higher every semester in college. Why is it, then, that I feel guilty when I succeed at something and they struggle?

First of all, I'm a human as well, and I'd like to think that I'm somewhat humble. Would I take back my signed and sealed offer to work at a sports bar? No. And I worked hard to get that offer, it wasn't just handed to me either. But sometimes I feel guilty that I'll make more money in the summer than some of them make in months.

However, accomplishing something huge shouldn't make you feel guilty. You should always be happy for yourself for accomplishing a goal—that's literally what you set out to do! Realize that feeling, and own it. Remember the guilt you feel though, because that should be what propels you to make a difference when you graduate. That feeling of wanting to help people better their situations is what should inspire you every day at your job, whether that's through volunteering, donating money or time, or just lending a hand to someone in need.