Why You Should Watch '13 Reasons Why'

Why You Should Watch '13 Reasons Why'

A show not for the faint of heart but something to "learn" from.

9
Why You Should Watch '13 Reasons Why'
YouTube

Since 13 Reason Why came out has released on Netflix. I have been debating whether to watch. I wanted to at least to see fans and media how reacted to it. I was a 50/50 draw where I saw people hated it or "accepted" it.

Without giving away too much, 13 Reasons Why touches on suicide, depression, and bullying. I think it is a show that definitely needs to be seen. The show does have a habit of being hard to watch. “13” shows the harsh reality of the topics at hand. While at the suicide and rape scene are extremely “intense”, It is something necessary for my people to learn from. It shows every side of the story. While I wouldn’t say it’s something to love but It is necessary to continue. As adults, we should watch It truly understand another point of view.

What many of the people pushing to stop people from watching the show forgets is that it intends to be realist (although, not). There are also trigger warnings before episodes that do show any triggering footage. The director carries out a reality that many people have to live through and what people still don't understand. 13 Reasons Why is nothing different from "Requiem For A Dream" or "Trainspotting". Both of which movies are difficult to watch for many and are very dark in every sense of the word. I do understand that not everything is for everyone but that is for the person to decide. While being totally unrealistic, It is something hopefully will make people want to learn more and gain a better understanding for suicide, bullying, and rape. Understandably, It shouldn't take a show to make people want to learn or even care but many are still blind to problem that most have to deal with at least once in their life.