Should College Majors Determine The Price of College
Education

Should Your Degree Depend On The Price You Pay For College?

Should engineers pay less for college than English majors do?

131

I'm guessing that you have never thought of this idea before because I certainly have not either.

Rick Scott key player into the whole idea, thought that this might be a good idea to keep our job market in a supply and demand mode. Essentially, colleges and universities would "discount" or "not charge as much" for students pursuing any majors under the engineering, science, health care professions, or technology field of study, which are more needed and desirable majors in our society than other majors that aren't needed as much in society or that are not that much demand, like English, historians, and philosophy majors. Further detailed in the New York Times article.

With being a science and health-care major I am all in for a discounted college fee bill, however, there are people who do not express interest in these "more desired" majors and want to something else with their life. With having friends on both the majors I asked them for their opinions and how they felt about the potential idea.

My friend Bri who is an English literature major felt slightly against the idea. She understood why the education system might do this because the educational system is more of a business than acting more like a college or university. When I asked her if the discount would have changed her personal decision on her major. Surprisingly she agreed with me and told me that if a person who was incapable or was not as fortunate to receive a scholarship for some reason, that this would be the next best idea to save up on their college tuition. "However, this obviously is not fair for people who are interested or are just not as good in science and math then they are in English." This is a good idea, but still needs a lot of figuring it out.

My friend Drayden, however, was all in for the idea. As a mechanical engineer, he is always constantly working on various homework assignments and overall much harder classes that take a lot of time, and patience to learn. He believes that it would definitely be a plus if he was able to get a discount of school instead of having to pay the same price even though his classes are harder than other majors.

Even though this is only an idea purpose by a politician I can understand now why this might sound really enticing for students. I agree with the idea, because of the many benefits for not only the economy but for student's debt, and the demand for these jobs.