3 Reasons Why You Should Do Children's Ministry

Proverbs 22:6- “Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.”

994
unsplash.com

Kids. O’ what a marvelous creation. Little humans ranging from tiny, butterball-turkey infants to hyperactive, ecstatic tweens. Children are such a blessing, despite the reality that sometimes the blessing seems to hide itself in tears, complaining, and unfiltered exclamations. One thing is for certain—Children NEED direction.

They have all the desire in the world to grow and spread their wings whether they realize it or not, and it is the responsibility of the respective adults around them to foster that growth in a positive manner. I don’t have children of my own, yet. However, I believe it is of the upmost importance that I begin to associate myself with kids even now as a college student for a variety of reasons. This is why I have chosen to serve in the Children’s ministry at my local church, and you should think about doing the same.

When I begin to think as to why I serve in children’s ministry, or as my church, Antioch, likes to call it— “Kingdom Kids,” I usually end up coming to a conclusion of three main reasons. I serve for God, for the kids, and for myself. It’s my heart’s desire to communicate these reasons to you as effectively as possible, so that you may see the fruits of which serving in children’s ministry produces.

For God

This is the ultimate reason. We were created and sent to this Earth for one purpose, and that is to serve the Kingdom of God in whatever way possible by communicating the gospel in the best way possible. If children don’t love their church or the people in it, neither will their parents. Therefore, serving children within your church actually gives you the power to minister to their entire family! We are called to love the church as Christ loved the church, so who are we to not serve the church? Many of us go to church every Sunday, and that is great! I’m so glad that we live in a place where coming together to gain wisdom and truth about out eternal savior is encouraged! However, if we are not pouring back into our church, we are therefore treating the church as a whore rather than the bride of Christ that Jesus loves so deeply.

Psalm 127: 3-5

“Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.”

For the Kids

I know it may seem funny, but sometimes we need to remind ourselves of the simplest things. We must remember that children’s ministry is ultimately about the CHILDREN. Children need a solid spiritual foundation. In the same way that they are taught how to walk, talk, and eat, they must be taught how to develop a relationship with Jesus Christ. Kids are our next generation of leaders, and it’s our responsibility to raise them up in a way that enables them to honor God through their leadership. Studies have shown that 85% of believers give their life to Jesus before the age of 18, this is why we must start ministering to kids in the nursery, not when they head off to college.

Proverbs 22: 6

“Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.”

For Yourself

Let me caution you by saying I am not considering this reason selfishly. I could have incorporated this reason, or any other reason rather, into the “For God” portion of this article, but for the sake of specificity, I decided to make this reason separate. As a future parent, we need to prepare for family discipleship. If you cannot pour into a three-year-old now, how can you expect to pour into your spouse and children in a few years? Discipling your future family doesn’t come naturally, it comes with experience. Experience that you can get now, not when you have your first child.

Ephesians 5: 25-26

“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for herto make her holy, cleansingher by the washing with water through the word”

Beloved, I beg of you—if you are not serving your church or the next generation, please consider doing so. Not only are you called to as a follower of Jesus, but there is so much joy and satisfaction that comes from serving the children of God!