'Short Circuit' Teaches Us Valuable Lessons About Technology, Freedom And Nature

It reminded us that lives are indeed fragile as well as one must be careful in making decisions while considering the duality of every matter. In this case, technology.

194
TriStar Pictures

Thirty-two years ago, there was a petite, mechanical robot that was blasted by a “little short circuit” when on duty. From there on, the robot turned over a new leaf and gave itself a name, a name that distinguishes himself from all the other clones: Johnny 5.

Being pursued by the pestering military and scientists, Johnny 5 (portrayed by Tim Blaney) was aided by an animal-lover named Stephanie (portrayed by actress Ally Sheedy). With her help, he was able to grab a taste of life being free and being himself.

This 1986 adventure comedy film directed by John Badham combined remnants of both the '70s and '80s to convey a message that we need to pay attention to our advancing technology. Up till now, the year of 2018, technology has indeed dominated our ordinary lives to a great extent. Yet, we still strive to update and improve technology to suit more of our daily needs. From Badham’s film "Short Circuit," Johnny 5 proved that even a technological advancement such as himself is able to take notice of his environmental surroundings and appreciate things that we take for granted like the animals, grass, human beings, and activities.

The astonished and enthusiastic Johnny 5 explored his freedom through television, dancing, radio songs, books, and the small interactions of education in his friendship with Stephanie.

Therefore, Johnny 5 demonstrated that in 2018, we truly need the combined forces of technology and natural, human activities in order to reach true happiness. However, Johnny 5 also foretold that our greedy determination for new technology can become a destructive risk to human relationships and nature. These two components are mainly the factors that contribute to our definition of life. Meeting new people, becoming friends and family, looking at things never before seen, going into a new world, learning, are the things that make life so fascinating. This film also taught us about creation itself can make destruction. At the same time, it reminded us that lives are indeed fragile as well as one must be careful in making decisions while considering the duality of every matter. In this case, technology.

I can still remember how my mother was persisting that I, my twin, and my youngest sister, in front of our television, to watch this film called "Short Circuit" for our daily family movie night. To be honest, this was the first time of hearing this film, which shocked my mother. Prior to this, we have listened to our mother’s recommendations of '80s films and followed through with them. As a result, we became fanatics of films from the '80s. Thanks, Mom!

When watching the film, it was very fun and thrilling to see Johnny 5 strolling along with his life and strolling for his life! Perhaps Johnny 5, who still inhibited his outgoing soul, was trying to tell us to go toward to the choice of living free and honestly. In addition, it is up to us in how we run our lives in this world of duality. He also motivated us that we should create technology to benefit our appreciation of preserving life instead of destroying life.

Anyways, I recommend that everyone should spare some time and watch this summer film. I can only say one last thing: You'll never find another adorable robot other than Johnny 5 who can dance to Bee Gees’ "More than a Woman" as well as John Travolta.