5 Reasons Why You Should Shop Locally This Holiday Season

Buying from Amazon may be convenient, but shopping locally helps everyone.

60
Gyorgy Bakos

Shopping locally benefits everyone, from the consumer to the local economy to the planet in general.

Read up on why you should consider shopping locally this season and into the new year.

1. You’ll know what you’re buying

When you buy from giant brands, you don’t really know what you’re getting.

The shirt you bought or the kitchen supplies in your cart could have been made overseas in shops where workers are mistreated and taken advantage of. It’s what allows big businesses to sell things at cheap prices.

Instead, know what you’re getting and shop at a local store where you can get to know the owner and ask any questions you might have.

2. Local stores help the small-town economy

Another problem people have with shopping locally is that they think it’s hard to do. The truth is the exact opposite!

There are nearly 28 million small businesses nationwide that are ready to offer fantastic products. Just look for the businesses in your town that don’t have big brands as the name of their store and search for what you want to buy there.

Once you’ve found some local stores you like, rest easy when it comes to spending your money. It’s going to come back to help you and your loved ones. In fact, 48 percent of each purchase at local independent businesses is recirculated locally, compared to chain stores that only circulate 14 percent of their profits.

3. Your food will be healthier

If you purchase your food from local producers by going to a farmers market or a local grocery store, the food you get will actually be healthier for you to eat. People get tricked into buying the food from chain stores because it doesn’t require getting to know your neighbor. It’s one of the many reasons why only 1 percent of all food consumed in the United States is bought locally.

Get to know your local farmers and talk with them about their growing process. They’ll most likely skip the heavy chemicals and fertilizers that giant corporations use to grow food. Instead, they’ll know their crops inside and out and will be happy to help you learn when they’ll be growing what foods and how to get involved with what they sell.

4. Wages and benefits will soar

Local stores and corporate brands view their employees very differently.

Local stores tend to be smaller and more tight-knit. The owners know who works for them and get to know them on a personal basis. Corporate brands have too many employees to count, so it’s impossible for the people who run the companies to get to know who they’ve hired.

This leads to wages and benefits being treated differently for both types of businesses. Recently, studies showed that local businesses are linked to higher income growth and lower levels of poverty. This means they have better benefits to take care of their employees, compared to big brands that cut wages and benefits depending on quarterly and annual reports.

Shopping locally puts your money in the hands of people who help their workers, which in return helps the town they’re in.

5. The environment will thank you

Another problem with big corporations is that the process of making their products and getting them in the hands of consumers is a big strain on the environment. Building their businesses causes habitat loss and pollution, in addition to the amount of fossil fuel that is used to transport things to consumers all over the world.

Local stores just require a quick trip to purchase what you need, and that trip can even be done by bicycle or a walk so nothing harmful is released into the environment.

Spending your money in stores that give back to their employees and the local economy means you’re putting your money in a good place, and fits right into the season of giving back to the people around you.