Shawn Mendes Can Do R&B AND Powerful Ballads, Which Makes Him Music's GOAT

So I guess we can't guess what the album will sound like now...

571
Instagram

Shawn Mendes just released two singles that are completely different than each other and anything that he has ever done. I personally love them both. One is a powerful ballad called “In My Blood” and the other is a funky R&B track called “Lost in Japan.”

“In My Blood” is a battle about loneliness and anxiety- a totally powerful ballad. It begins with “Laying on the bathroom floor, feeling nothing/ I'm overwhelmed and insecure, give me something”. It then continues into the chorus which includes drums, throbbing guitars, and loud choral backing vocals. He says, “Sometimes I feel like giving up but I just can’t”. He stated in an interview that he was hoping to be more honest and have a bit of rock influence in his next album. If the album is anything like this song, he has that covered.

One single was not enough for Shawn. Just a day after he released another song (totally different than “In My Blood”)- “Lost in Japan”. To me, it sounds a lot like Justin Timberlake. This song is about a long distant relationship and has an R&B funk to it.

There’s a pretty big difference between the two singles but that gets us fans way more excited to see the album to come. Shawn has stated many different influences when discussing his new album so it is hard to tell the direction of it. It may end up being all over the place but it’s Shawn Mendes- so it really can’t be bad at all.