Shaping a Lifestyle of Sabbath

Shaping a Lifestyle of Sabbath

Being at peace and less stressful may be easier than we think.

93
Shaping a Lifestyle of Sabbath
Jeff Sheldon

For those of us who are Christians, we’re familiar with a term called “Sabbath”. However, we don’t have a relationship with this day like those who are Jewish do. We call our Sabbath Sunday and we go to church, take part in events and ministry related activities, and shop and scurry to do homework that we forgot about all weekend. For our Jewish friends Sabbath is taken on from Friday night until Saturday night. It is a day of rest. Rest. No work. Things are slowed down, time with people is enjoyed and time is spent with God. It’s a day to just be. And that is a beautiful thing that has somehow become lost in our societal translation of a weekend.

Even on these end of the week days we are constantly going. What would happen if we actually began taking part in Sabbath? If we got up in peace and slowly enjoyed the people around us. Maybe go for a walk or cook a family dinner or read a book instead of taking part in the constant glamorization of business and technology?

But what I am laying out here isn’t just a once a week ritual. What if we shaped lives of Sabbath? What if we gave our every day so completely to God that we didn't stress or fret? What if we intentionally set apart time every day to rest and just sit? What if we took time to put our phones down and close our laptops? What if we sought God out in quiet time or during a short ten minute walk? What if we led unhurried lifestyles of peace?

If we did do this, what sort of changes would we see happening in our life? Would we be more gracious? Would we be more patient? Would we be more kind and loving and understanding? Would we be more flexible when things don’t turn out the way we wanted? Would we be more intentional, more encouraging—more aware of the day to day happenings of the people around us?

Would we be more rested if we cultivated a lifestyle of rest?

You might be reading this and think it’s entirely impossible—how could such a feat be accomplished? Not in today’s society. I disagree. It starts by trusting in God. We need to understand that He is always aware—He orchestrates our days…moment by moment and in leading an unhurried life that is focused on Him the result is more time (stress free) to accomplish what needs to get done.

It is okay to step away and breathe. It is imperative to take intentional time to be with God. It only benefits us to be worry free—nothing will be accomplished by a life of constant going except an ever more frazzled self.

I challenge you to begin shaping your life of Sabbath. It is possible. Lay out easy steps that you can hold yourself to. Find a few friends to keep each other accountable.

For example, a few of my Sabbath lifestyle rules might be:

1. Go to bed earlier, wake up earlier, and spend intentional quiet time with God before the day starts.

2. Don't rush to and from between your destinations. Slow down your pace, look at the scenery, smile at those you pass, and thank God for the day!

3. Don't take your phone with you everywhere you go. Looking at a screen is more wearisome than you may think.

These are only examples--do what works for you!

Lastly, rest in knowing you are known by the Creator and chosen for a mission!