Shakespeare's Globe

Shakespeare's Globe

Taming of the shrew.

17
Shakespeare's Globe
the arts desk

I had never been as inspired by standing in the rain, until my eyes were firmly affixed upon the stage as water poured down upon me. There is a bit of pomp and circumstance that is a result of experiencing a paragon of theatre; although, the original structure burned down and the context is presented with a modern edge, watching The Taming of the Shrew at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre was like transporting back in time.

Due to the reverence of performing Shakespeare at the reconstruction of his own stomping grounds, there seems to be call for a higher quality of actor. Simply put, each time “Kate” refused to be broken, my heart soared in pride to be the same gender as such a strong woman. My heart broke every moment “Petruchio” portrayed the lost look of a young child who just doesn’t seem to understand why no one wants to play with him, and laughter exploded from me at “Bianca’s” wantonness. I have not and will never know the actors beyond the moments that they truly became their characters on that stage, and that is okay because witnessing a monumental theatrical literary creation at a reconstruction of the home of grand performances that bore plays that have changed lives was a priceless gift (all for £5, which I must say was the deal of a lifetime).

One of my favorite aspects about great literature is that is transcends time, class, and social disputes. As society evolves, people grow, which leads to individuals perceiving different depictions of the same lines. In this case, the directors presented an obvious feminist tone to the performance through the strength and perseverance of “Kate” and her refusal to be broken by societal expectations, her father’s parental blindness, and “Petruchio’s” selfish ignorance. Although the structure of the Globe itself segregates class then (and now, in some ways) the original availability of entrance for the lower class had what I can only imagine to be a significant influence on morale. Today, when given the choice, I chose to stand in the yard, for a more personal…and impactful view.

Throughout history, people have used literature and entertainment to combat hypocrisy and various social injustices that are perpetrated against individuals. In this version of Taming of the Shrew the strength of a woman that thought she may be physically broken her soul is remarkably resilient counters the idea that women are the lesser sex, and the extremes along with the abuse from “Petruchio” societies mistreatment, immoral treatment of women, and inconceivable expectations from society of women are exaggerated in a way to enact change. By using bits of social commentary, exaggerations, and sarcasm the lines of this play slowly seep into one’s subconscious and leaves its mark.