Sexual Assault Accusations: The Ripple Effect

Both men and women have had the courage to come forward and identify as survivors of sexual assault.

89
Photo by Jerry Kiesewetter on Unsplash

Recently, many women have been coming forward acknowledging that they are survivors of sexual assault. These cases have been in the news with actors, politicians, doctors and celebrities being at the center of it all. In one of the more recent cases, USA Olympic gymnasts, Aly Raisman, Gabby Douglas, McKayla Maroney and Simone Biles, among many others came forward to accuse Dr. Larry Nassar of sexual abuse. More than 150 young women and teenagers publicly confronted Nassar during the course of a seven day hearing. The gravity of this situation is incredible and should have been addressed much sooner than it was.

Just a few months ago, in October, television host Charlie Rose was accused of sexual misconduct by 8 women between the ages of 21 and 37. The host was fired by CBS following these accusations. Thankfully, CBS took this case seriously and by taking action and firing Rose. CBS stated that nothing was more important than ensuring the workplace was safe. Furthermore, PBS heard about the allegations and decided to no longer distribute Rose's show.

Also in October, award-winning actor, Kevin Spacey, was accused of making sexual advances at actor, Anthony Rapp, who was 14-years-old at the time. This accusation prompted an apology from Spacey and a statement saying that he now chooses "to live as a gay man." Netflix stated that they would not be involved with any further productions of House of Cards that would involve Spacey and his representative, Staci Wolfe, promptly dropped him as a client.

The culture of sexual assault and harassment in our society today is disgusting. It is extremely admirable that both men and women have had the courage to come forward and identify as survivors of sexual assault. This pattern in culture needs to change and end this ripple effect that seems to have begun.