A Series of Uncaffeinated Events

A Series of Uncaffeinated Events

Coffee Chronicles Pt. 4

29
A Series of Uncaffeinated Events
Geoff Herbert

Beginning March 1, I gave up coffee and soda for Lent. That's right, for 40 days and 40 nights, I had to survive as a sleep-deprived college student without her major sources of caffeine.

Let's just say it was a struggle.

While I'm glad that I did it, as I quickly realized that I had a very unhealthy dependence on those two substances, it was very difficult and somewhat frustrating at times to not have either. So, naturally, I decided to write an article about it, logging my daily experiences, so you all can laugh at me. You're welcome.

Tuesday, February 28 (AKA Fat Tuesday): End the day with a total of 3 cups of soda and 5 cups of coffee beverages. Did not receive much sleep.

Wednesday, March 1 (AKA D-Day): Wake up feeling pretty good, though slightly depressed that I can't have caffeine at work later. Think I will kill it overall, though know in my heart that I'm lying to myself. At 3 pm, feel an intense, unexplainable pain shoot through my brain. Feel like I'm dying until I realize that I haven't had any caffeine that day, and my body is obviously punishing me.

Thursday, March 2: Boyfriend, in an attempt to be cute and thoughtful, surprises with a bottle of Pibb Xtra. Feel extreme longing in my veins, then tell him that I can't on account of Lent. Later at work, I feel another intense longing for either coffee or Pibb Xtra, but realize that it's only two days in and is much too early to consider breaking Lent. Have a thoroughly unsatisfying but caffeinated chai tea latte.

Friday, March 3: Some girl in class mentions her morning drink that consisted of black coffee and three extra shots. Become instantly triggered, and is grumpy the rest of class.

Saturday, March 4: Friends and sister go to McDonald's for breakfast and coffee. Order in a slightly sassy attitude (because everyone else is getting caffeine), and fervently deny any sort of sassiness when called out by sister.

Sunday, March 5: Realize the hard way that I need to start drinking water to compensate the lack of other fluids when am awaken with stiff and slightly throbbing muscles. Later, when grocery shopping, deny self Starbucks not once, but twice (at two different stores). Feel accomplished.

Monday, March 6: Get a splatter of coffee on hand and instinctively lick it off. Panic before closing mouth and rush to drink something else to wash it off. Know in heart it wasn't because of possibly breaking Lent, it was because the smallest taste of coffee could set off a wild frenzy that only more and more coffee could satisfy.

Wednesday, March 8: To fill the void, have gotten myself addicted to chocolate milk. Am now a two-cup a day milk drinker. Feel like this may become a problem eventually, but am now proud of the fact I've switched to such a healthy option.

Friday, March 10: Go to Starbucks with a friend and order a Mocha. Friend reminds it's Lent. End up canceling my order, and replacing it with a hot chocolate. Depression sets in.

Sunday, March 12 to Saturday, March 18: Spring Break passes in an unfortunate haze of wanting to go to Happy Hour at Sonic with my siblings, and unable to get anything I actually want and being taunted maliciously by my family's Keurig.

Monday, March 20: Am still addicted to chocolate milk. Have switched to Almond Milk under the pretense that it's healthier, but it's really because the sweetness mimics a mocha.

Thursday, March 23: Drink mint green tea at work, convincing myself that it's caffeinated (it isn't). Think I might be getting a bit desperate.

Friday, March 24: Go out to eat with friends to celebrate not dying over the past weekend. Celebration feels somewhat stale, due to the fact that water is definitely not exciting.

Monday, March 27: Go to a work meeting and sit next to a girl who I realize too late has a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee (one of my favorite coffee brands). Though we are a normal sitting distance apart, I can smell the coffee from her cup. Feel like a werewolf under a full moon and have to restrain me from doing something rash (tackling her and stealing the coffee, laughing manically, is the tamest option).

Wednesday, March 29: Pour a customer a Coke at work. Some of it splashes on hand. Instinctively lick it, tasting the sweet juice of caffeinated goodness. Feel longing cut through my veins and want to cry just a bit.

Sunday, April 2: Go to Starbucks with friends. Want something incredibly bad. Unhappily order a green tea. Become even more unhappy when the tea isn't nearly as satisfying as coffee. Two weeks until freedom.

Tuesday, April 4: Pull an all-nighter without the aid of coffee or pop. Spend all of Wednesday with wide eyes filled with non-caffeinated, sleep-deprived crazy.

Friday, April 7: Go to IHOP with friends. Want to order iced coffee, as I usually do. Order water. Pancakes don't taste the same.

Sunday, April 9: Call home to wish mom and brother a happy birthday. Brother complains about how hard his Lent is. When asked, he says he gave up Poptarts. Lament with him outwardly, but stare unblinkingly at an invisible camera, a la The Office, inwardly. One week left.

Thursday, April 13: Ask dad when Lent officially ends, as it was said that it ended on the Thursday before Easter. Dad confirms fears and says it officially ends on Easter. Cry a bit, as there is still three days to go.

Saturday, April 15: Consider staying up until midnight to make coffee. Decide this is unwise, as church service is early the next morning. Proud of self for having some sort of control.

Sunday, April 16 (AKA Easter): Alarm goes off at 6 am. Leap happily out of bed, quickly wake three siblings, and sprint to the kitchen to make some coffee. The sweet taste is an indescribable euphoria. Think I may have actually poured a cup of angel's tears. Sit in kitchen, savoring each sip. Thirty minutes later, the caffeine hits and life begins again.

Needless to say, it was a rough 40 days; however, I learned much about myself during that time. I learned that I can survive without caffeine and that I'm a strong person for sticking to my beliefs. I also learned that if Lent had been 41 days instead of 40, I would have killed someone. Regardless, coffee and I are now reunited until next year (if I can handle it...).