September 13 Is National Video Games Day, So Here Are 15 Classic Video Games To Help You Celebrate

Let the games begin.

19275

Playing video games is a fun and interactive activity that helps players develop new skills if played in moderation. We all remember playing a video game if you grew up in the late 70's all the way through the 90's. They are a great way to connect with friends, learn hand-eye coordination, solve puzzles, and escape from the real world. While video games can have a negative impact on people's lives, many often forget about the positives as well. Improving cognitive thinking, multitasking, and social skills are a result from video games. In honor of National Video Games Day, there are many fun games that you can play to mark this special occasion. Here are the coolest ones to check out.

1. The Last of Us 

Amazon

This is the action-adventure series created by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. The story involves a smuggler bringing a teenage girl to safety in a post-apocalyptic setting. The characters, atmosphere, sounds, and voice-over are well done. Definitely worth checking out if you are a fan of survival horror games and replaying again.

2. Red Dead Redemption

Amazon

This is the Wild West action-adventure game by Rockstar Games. The story is about former outlaw John Marston who is blackmailed by the government to hunt down his former gang. The game is in 3rd person, graphics are incredible, and lets the player explore the West and Mexico. Casual players that love open world games need to check out this one.

3. Grand Theft Auto IV

Amazon

This is the eleventh action-adventure game in the GTA series by Rockstar Games, and the second of the main series in the franchise after GTA: San Andreas. The other games in the series are fun, but this one improves on the graphics, combat, and driving mechanics. Along with missions and many unique side quests, the ability to play recreational activities like bowling and darts, call friends, have the story change based on your choices, and traveling to different locations via cabs or subways adds to the experience. It's an awesome game if you enjoy open world video games in a modern setting.

4. Mafia II

Amazon

This is the action-adventure game by 2K Games. The story revolves around war veteran Vito Scaletta as he becomes entangled with Mafia crime families while trying to live a better life. Players will like the missions (combat, stealth, and timed events), characters, and setting. The real- time cutscenes, advertisements, and music add to the overall experience.

5. Assassin's Creed

Amazon

This is the action-adventure game created by Ubisoft and is the first in the series. The story involves concepts from the Prince of Persia and novel Alamut. Players control Desmond Miles and travel across an open world taking down enemies using stealth and combat. It's a game that combines, historical/science fiction and real life figures and events in history.

6. Uncharted

Amazon

This is another action-adventure series made by Naughty Dog. The story involves treasure hunter Nathan Drake who travels the world searching for hidden artifacts, exploring unfamiliar locations, and unlocking secrets. The game is in 3rd person, has amazing character design, voice-acting, graphics, and music. The combination of shooting, combat, and puzzle solving makes it great for players that love adventure games, so be sure to play the rest and then other ones.

7. Halo: Combat Evolved​

Amazon

This is the 1st person shooter and original game in the series. The story revolves around Master Chief who tries to discover the mysteries surrounding the artificial world 'Halo'. Players control The Chief and battle aliens using a variety of weapons and vehicles. The game's futuristic atmosphere and multiplayer setting makes this a fun game to play or revist.

8. Call of Duty

Amazon

This is the 1st person shooter by Infinity Ward and Activision and the first in the franchise. It's simulation of warfare used in World War II. Players complete missions and get assistance from AI ally soldiers who are more vigilant and helpful compared to other 1st person shooter video games. Definitely worth checking out and then playing the rest in the series.

9. Bully

Amazon

This action-adventure game by Rockstar Games is the teenage alternative to the Grand Theft Auto series, and is one to play if you are new to open world games. Instead of an urban city, the story takes place in the town of Bullworth where troublemaker student James 'Jimmy' Hopkins must overcome challenges and take on the worst cliques in school as he tries gain control at Bullworth Academy and stop the bullying. The game's in 3rd person perspective and includes classes (which grant new abilities if you pass them), side quests, bike riding, and skateboarding with adolescent style weapons like slingshots, marbles, and stink bombs. Players will enjoy all the cool missions, interesting characters, and other features.

10. Spider-Man 2 (the video game)

Amazon

This is the action-adventure game made by Activision and one of the best Spider-Man games made . The story follows the plot of the movie while including additional characters. The gameplay is 3rd person in an open world setting allowing players to web swing and fight across a realistic looking New York City. Gamers will love revisiting this nostalgic game.

11. Batman: Arkham Origins

Amazon

This third action-adventure game in the Batman Arkham Series is the game to play if you are going in chronological order. Instead of Rocksteady, this one was developed by WB Games. The story involves Batman fighting his greatest enemies for the very first time. It's a fun game to play if you a fan of Batman, and perfect for those new to the Arkham video games.

12. Resident Evil

Amazon

This is the survival horror series created by Capcom that re-popularized the zombie genre. The story is about zombie outbreaks caused by the Umbrella Corporation. The graphics improve as the series continues. Any game is fun to play (especially the ones that have co-op), but if you are a new gamer, make sure to get a copy of the one that started it all.

13. The Simpsons Hit & Run

Amazon

This is the action-adventure game based on the animated series 'The Simpsons'. It is a parody of the GTA series (particularly Grand Theft Auto III) and designed for teenage gamers, and fans of the T.V show. The story revolves around crazy and mysterious circumstances throughout the town of Springfield that are investigated by the Simpson family and Apu. Players complete mission that involve races, evading cars, side quests, and timed events to uncover the conspiracy.

14. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Amazon

This is the action-adventure game based on the Lego Star Wars toys. The game features the two Lego Star Wars games in one. Players have the opportunity to play through the episodes 1-6 of the Star Wars saga. This game is great for Star Wars and Lego fans, along with gamers who love single and multiplayer games with comedy and bloodless violence.

15. Super Mario Bros. Wii

Amazon

This is the 2D platform video game by Nintendo that is part of the Super Mario Bros franchise. The story is the same as the previous Super Mario Bros. games, but with better graphics, new areas, and cooperative multiplayer. Players control Mario, Luigi or one of two different Toads as they travel across 8 different worlds and battle enemies to save Princess Peach. This game is perfect for gamers both novice and experienced who are fans of the Super Mario Bros game series.