Being Separated From My Siblings For 7 Years Made For Just An ‘OK’ Childhood

Skipping the foster home and entering a new one.

1384
Personal Picture

When I was about 7 years old me and my siblings were split up. That was probably one of the hardest things I had to go through as a child.

Luckily instead of being put into a foster home, we were given to some close relatives.

My grandma picked me to live with her, I felt so lucky because her house was big and beautiful, but what I didn't know was that none of my siblings would be going with me. That created so much isolation and sadness that I at the time didn't know was a thing. But it slowly crept up on me.

Sometimes I thought being spoiled with all these toys was a coping mechanism and was an attempt to make sure I didn't have to feel hurt and realize real-world issues. It was creating a false happiness.

Not only was I away from my 5 siblings but also my mom. When I think of my childhood I can't quite remember my mom because I didn't get to see her, except on major holidays.

Some of my siblings got to stick together but I was all alone and hours away from them. I think being away from them that long made me become distant and different. Sometimes it's hard to relate to them now because I was away for 7 years and didn't get to see them that often. So we didn't have much in common and I knew I was the odd one out.

I went from having 5 close best friends to none. We did everything together. There was always a new adventure and someone to play with. Not to mention we learned from one another. Then that all went away after the split.

It was hard to make friends in my new school because I didn't have any of my siblings to help me speak with new people, I was always the shy one out of the 6 of us and I didn't have someone to help balance me out. My brother had protected me from my bullies when we lived together, now he was hours away and he couldn't protect me anymore. So that left me vulnerable and scared. This opened the door to bullying and my multiple attempts of suicide.

Things would have been completely different if I had the chance to grow up with them the normal way. When people would ask if I was the only child, I didn't know how to respond. But I did feel all alone. I feel like I missed out on a lot of things, especially birthdays.

I would have loved to attend every one of their birthdays. I would have loved to have had lots of people to play with. I would have loved to never ever felt alone. I would have loved to have those cliche Christmas cards, matching PJs and all of those childhood memories most people have, but I don't. I didn't get to experience everything that I wanted.

Don't get me wrong I still had a pretty decent childhood but I knew it could've been better if I actually got to grow up with them. After all most people have multiple children so that they don't grow up alone. It builds trust, love, and family.

Most of them returned to my mom after a couple months of separation, but I didn't. Yet I am the person I am today because of this separation. It taught me a lot especially family value. A family is priceless.

What I think most people need to realize is that family is everything. Especially if you have siblings. Those are people who look out for you and vice versa.

Being in college is hard because I have a whole family back at home that I don't get to see but I know they are all supporting me. We should all cherish family no matter how crazy it gets. It taught me that I am not alone in this big world and that I should continue to be the best I can be. My childhood was okay, but I hope to make the future with my family even better.