Why Having A Sense Of Humor Is Essential

If you want to be friends, then you have to make me laugh!

7403
Annabel Reyes

I am a strong believer in the clichéd saying, “Laughter is the best medicine.” Why?

There are plenty of reasons.

First off, it is impossible to live life without experiencing the satisfaction of comedic relief. How can you build relationships with others without using humor to establish a lasting bond? How will you become comfortable with a person or truly create a connection with them when you don’t laugh at the same jokes?

I love comedy because it adds a lighthearted twist to the pleasant, mundane, or tragic aspects of life. Comedy also causes laughter, which is a form of expression that makes people feel good. And, doesn’t everyone want to feel good?

Whenever I am deciphering between whether or not I can be friends with a person, the first deciding factor is the compatibility of our sense of humors. If they don’t laugh at my jokes and I don’t laugh at theirs, then there is no way we can build a connection. Of course we can be friendly acquaintances, but we could never be close friends.

Whenever I spend time with my group of friends at college or my best friend from home, I immediately “crack up” within the first few minutes of seeing them. Of course we’re not always laughing, but we understand each other from a comedic standpoint. Whenever we are upset or lonely, our way of comforting each other is bringing to light the humorous aspects of the situation. The people who laugh with you, at you, and all around you, are the true keepers.

A person’s sense of humor is also a pivotal part of choosing someone you want to date or spend the rest of your life with. It baffles me when couples try to create a strong romantic relationship with each other when they have opposing sense of humors.

By watching comedic shows such as The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Arrested Development, and more, I have analyzed what makes me laugh. If you watch a funny movie or TV show with someone you’ll realize that you will laugh more at certain parts than they do. That’s normal. However, if that “special” someone fails to laugh at any part of the comedy, then you’re in trouble. That is when you know that he or she is not the right person for you. Especially if they were not laughing at Michael Scott’s opening monologue. In that case, they are most likely an alien or something.

My parents have been together for over 30 years. Even though my mother sometimes gets annoyed at my father’s sarcastic remarks, she will never stop giggling at the goofy way he sings and dances around the house when he comes home from work. Although my father complains about my mother’s temper tantrums, he will never discontinue bursting out laughing at my mother’s funny impressions of people.

Don’t waste your time with the guy who simply gives a slight smile when you bravely tell your best joke. Go for the goofy one who understands your humor whether it’s dry, silly, awkward, sarcastic, inappropriate, or weird. Appreciate his sense of humor and makes sure he appreciates yours. It’s essential. If you can’t laugh together, end it right there. No hard feelings. And like Michael Scott once said, “That’s what she said.” (If you failed to laugh at that then we can’t be friends. No hard feelings.) That’s what she said, again!