What Seniors Need To Know About College

What Seniors Need To Know About College

There are many important things to keep in mind.

45
What Seniors Need To Know About College

In high school, I knew I was going to college, but the whole idea felt foreign to me the entire time. I never really thought about college for myself, but I listened to what my teachers told me what it would be like. The most common phrase in high school was "They are not going to let you get away with this in college!" I expected harsh professors and failing grades. I am glad to let you know that teachers definitely over exaggerate the terrors of college.

While some professors are very strict with their late work policy, many are very understanding about a busy college student's life. If you have a paper due on Monday, and explain to the professor you've had a rough week, they might let you submit it at a later date. You might have some late points taken off, but high school teachers made it seem like you would get an automatic zero and fail the course. Luckily, that is rarely the case.

Another thing I want to stress is the importance of AP classes. I know they are a pain in the butt because they require so much extra work, but trust me, they are so worth it. If you take this class and get a passing grade on the AP exam, you might be able to get out of that class in college. This means less money you spend on courses and the quicker you can graduate.

I took several AP classes in high school and I'm lucky enough to have a sophomore status my first year at college. It does require a lot more time and effort, but the reward is totally worth it.

The college application process can be a little tricky, and be sure to look for certain things. One major thing to look at when you're applying to colleges is the cafeteria. You will be eating this food every day for four years so make sure you like it! Also, look at the activities to do around the college on the weekends.

If the college has a bunch of clubs and organizations on campus, that might be a great way to make friends. Also, look at the distance from home. Everyone is so quick to move across the country, but staying close to home is better. I live a little over an hour away from my parents and I think it's a great distance.

I can have lunch with them or go home on the weekends while still having some independence. Finally, make sure you explore all your options before committing to a college. Some institutions are more financial need based on their scholarships while some are more academic scholarships. Depending on your personal situation, apply to the right college.

Applying to college is a big deal, and it's something you should take very seriously. Just keep in mind that college can be a really fun and valuable experience, so it is important to know the realities of it.