Senior Year Struggles

Senior Year Struggles

As senior year comes closer, I'm struggling to figure out my career path.

11
Senior Year Struggles

In just a few weeks I begin my senior year in college. Many different emotions go through my mind during this time. Happiness, sadness, confusion, frustration and the list could go on. While I'm excited to finish my chapter at The University of Kansas, I'm struggling to accept that my college career is almost over. A whole year was taken away from us. While I didn't lose my senior year, learning online was a big struggle. It feels almost as if I didn't learn anything during the Zooms and online classes because, I wasn't able to interact with my peers. I struggle to accept that this is my last year in school because it seems to have gone by so fast.

Everyone asks me what I want to do when I graduate, and I honestly have no idea. My major is in Elementary Education but, the closer I get to graduating I feel like I selected the wrong career path. I continue to question myself and why I chose this major. I love working with children and I think that teachers have very rewarding careers but, I don't know if it's what I was meant to do. I believe that each person was put on this earth for a purpose and I don't know if being an educator is mine.

I've always loved writing and it's been a passion but I never considered it to be a career path until recently when I started looking more into the career and what can be done with it. There are many options and a journalism major and while I'm almost done with my college career, I'm just starting to think that I selected the wrong major and career path. What if I want to be a writer? What do I tell my parents? Many questions come to mind when I think about this. It's too late to change my major, which is the scariest part. I don't want to begin a career that I wasn't meant to do, that I may not enjoy.

I know that most college students go through a time where they wonder if they should change their major but, I never thought it would happen to me. I've come so far and I'm very close to graduating but, I'm struggling to figure out if I selected the right career path and what to do when I complete my college degree. I've had an amazing college experience but, as it's coming to an end I've began to realize that I may have chosen the wrong major because, it was something I always thought I wanted to do until now. I've finally realized that I think I was meant to be a writer, a journalist, maybe even a newscaster but, I don't know if I will be able to face my parents with the thoughts that I've been having. I don't want to let them down, especially since college has been very expensive and, it's a big step to change my career path this late in the game.