How I Feel About Senior Year and College Visits

I Am Not Ready For Senior Year, And College Visits Have Confirmed That

Visiting campus after campus has left me wondering about my future.

Unsplash / Jonathan Daniels

During the last few weeks, I have been travelling to different states to check out some of the colleges that I was planning on applying to. And then it actually hit me – in just a couple of months, I would be living on one of these campuses. I have always known what senior year had in store: college apps, more AP classes, and the graduation ceremony. But going through all that stress and feeling as though colleges had the power to validate my grades and my worth was a completely unexpected thing to go through.

My entire class will be split up after this year; some of us will go live in the Georgia State, University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, or Emory campuses while others will go elsewhere. Some of us may be fortunate enough to become part of the Ivy League family. Either way, I am worried to know where I will be and what that will mean for my future success.

I am worried about how I will deal with the disappointment that comes with the rejection letters. I am worried about the kind of people I will have to live with for four years.

I am worried about pulling more all nighters in college to deal with the increased course load.

But I also know that wherever I end up may also be the best thing that could happen to me. I could meet my lifelong friends in my classes or network with intelligent professors that could present me with valuable opportunities. The work I put in for the next four years will reward me with a great career with great pay.

So if that means being stressed out for a couple months and meticulous over college applications, I guess it's worth it. And if I don't get in where I want to go, then it is not meant to be. But wherever I decide to commit, I will be the best I can be, because that's all anyone can really do. And I hope it pays off.