To The High School Senior In Their Last Semester

Its the last semester of everything you know, so make it your best.

526
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/

To the senior in their final semester of high school,

First off, congratulations! You made it! There may have been a few times down the road that you thought you weren’t going to do it, but you did. However, it won’t get easier from here. Next stop: college, and if college isn’t for you then you get to jump right into the real world of adulating... so good luck.

As your final semester starts remember the little things. Enjoy every last second with your best friends and school family. These are the people that have been there for you for 4 years (or more). The people that you have classes with. The people you go to lunch with. The people that you hang out with before, during, or after school, even the weekends. These are the people that know your pet peeves, your strengths, and your weaknesses. So cherish these weeks, days, and moments even if you get annoyed sometimes.

You are experiencing a lot of “lasts” with this group and sometimes that is a bit emotional. Last high school game for each sport, last homecoming, last spring break as a high schooler, last prom, last time walking the halls, and finally the day will come that you walk across that stage, get your diploma, and maybe never go back to the school that once consumed your life.

You may be stressing about the fact that college is only a couple months away and you still don’t know where you are going. Do not worry! You are not alone! Apply to the places where you see yourself growing, and becoming who you want. DO NOT APPLY TO A COLLEGE JUST BECAUSE YOUR FRIENDS ARE. Sure, it would be fun to go to school with your best friends, however college is a chance to get out on your own a little bit and figure out who you are and who you want to be. Find the school that you love; whether it is there student section, their chemistry club, or their sport program. Your perfect school is out there, you just have to find it; don’t settle for anything less than what you want.

Different colleges mean that you and your best friends will most likely go separate ways. No matter how far you go, your high school best friends will always be there even if it has to be a phone call. So, in these last months you have together; treasure all of them. Have all the late night talks, the heart to hearts, and all the take-out Chinese you can consume.

Let’s not forget about your real family though. Your parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. These are the people who cheer for you in your corner even if the going gets tough so don’t shut them out. Everything is about to change and sometimes your parents don’t want to let you go so it seems they are being strict, but I promise you it is because they are just scared. They are scared of the future as much as you, are even if neither of you want to mention it.

So, again, remember the little things. Make the memories, love everyone, and be ready to take on the next chapter. You can do it because no matter where you end up you will make new friends, you will have your old friends, and you will have your family, everyone will be cheering for you. Don’t settle in life. Go out and do great things because today starts the rest of your life. There are many changes coming, but you can do it everyone believes in you.

“It’s the oldest story in the world. One day you’re seventeen and planning for someday. And then quietly and without you ever really noticing, someday is today. And that someday is yesterday. And this is your life.” – Nathan Scott