An Open Letter To The Senior About To Graduate

Hey, Senior, Don't Just Wish Everything Away Just Yet — Enjoy The Moment You're In

The future will be there waiting for you when you get there, so live now.

EmmaS14
EmmaS14
766

It's that time again when the senioritis starts to hit a little too hard, and you just can't wait to get the hell out of high school. Along with this comes the ridiculous number of people telling you not to wish it away because you can't ever get those years back. But, I know you're thinking of why you would even want them back in the first place. I am not here to tell you that those four years are the best years of your life — they definitely aren't, but they sure do hold some pretty great memories. Trust me when I say this: you will miss them.

Senior year is the year of all the lasts. At the time, it seemed like there were so many lasts that we would never run out of them. There was practically an unlimited supply of lasts until there wasn't. The hard truth about being a senior is that no one tends to think about the fact that everything is ending until it is already over.

By the second semester, everyone has already picked their school, and the excitement is so exhilarating. The future is so close you can almost reach out and touch it. The only problem with all of this excitement is that it can be so easy to live in it. Your future looks so bright that you're already there mentally. While it's okay to be excited, sometimes you can get so wrapped up in the future that you forget to live. Remember to live in the moment every day because it's something you can never get back.

One day, the lasts will run out.

You will watch your home team play one last game, go to your last dance, walk out of those double doors one more and never go back. You will walk into that gym bearing your school colors one last time in your cap and gown standing side by side with all of your closest friends, and just like that the lasts are over. Those four years that everyone swore wouldn't go by fast are gone. All of the great times become nothing but beautiful memories, and that is all you're left with are memories.

You will never get those times back, so it's time to start living them now. Live your life to the fullest. Most importantly, live for now. Your future is looking so bright — there's no shame in being excited about it — but remember that their future will be there waiting for you when you get there. Slow down, take it all in, and enjoy all of the lasts while you still have them.