An Open Letter To The High School Senior Who Just Got Accepted To The University of Oklahoma

Welcome home, Sooners!

12

Congrats, Sooner! You have worked so hard to get to this point and you're about to start a new chapter of your life at OU. You're going to meet the coolest people who will become your closest friends, get the change to eat unlimited Chick-fil-a (AMAZING, RIGHT?!). Here is what I have learned in my time at OU and I hope it helps.

Where should I live?

The best dorms to live on campus are definitely Headington and Dunham which are the residential colleges. They're still new and super nice compared to any of the towers on campus. I lived in Headington and I 10/10 recommend. From what I hear from my friends, the towers aren't that nice and there is a bunch of issues with them (mainly because the buildings are so old and are in need of being remodeled).

What is Norman like?

It's an awesome place to live and there are always events going on either on campus or around Norman. We have Campus Corner which is where a lot of students hang out, we usually have random events that popup each month like free concerts, free food, festivals, etc.

Where are the best places to eat in Norman?

Handsdown the answer is Picklemans, Fuzzys, and Teacafé on Campus Corner. 10/10 recommend.

Where is the best place to get a legal drink?

I don't drink even though I'm 22 (I'm a senior and a law student so I'm super busy and I choose not to drink, lame I know but honestly). I hear from my friends that O'Connells is super popular, but I personally have never been.

What events should I attend?

Football is obviously the biggest sport at OU that drives people wild, but we have softball, tennis, basketball, and any other sport that I'm failing to mention right now. But go to the events and support your peers!

What is the Oklahoma climate like and what should I pack?

The weather in Oklahoma is super bi-polar and that is nothing new. But my advice for any freshman is to invest in a good pair of rain boots and a rain jacket because when it rains in Norman, it pours! I'm not kidding! I suggest bringing a little bit of every type of clothing because one day it will be 100 degrees and the next day it will be 70 degrees.

What is your favorite saying?

I'm a Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead (aka the Boomer Sooner Fight song) or just BOOMER!

I wish you luck for the next four years of your life and you won't regret choosing OU at all! Time will fly so enjoy it while you can!