Sorority Recruitment Tips

Sorority Recruitment Tips

If there are photos of you beer bonging or using profane words on your social media, you should probably delete those.

120
Sorority Recruitment Tips

Since my first article was why you should go Greek, I figured why not do another Greek life post. Sorority recruitment is quickly approaching with only a few weeks until rush week and bid day here at SEMO. For all of you potential new members, here are some tips to keep in mind during recruitment.

Keep an open mind.

I know that everyone says to keep an open mind during recruitment but it's true. You'll hear so many rumors and stereotypes about all of the sororities either from fraternity guys, GDIs, or girls who didn't get into their dream sorority. Don't listen to these rumors! Every sorority has such amazing women. You never know what sorority you'll fall in love with until you actually get to meet them.

Clean up your social media.

If there are photos of you beer bonging or using profane words on your social media, you should probably delete those. If you don't want your grandmother seeing those things, you shouldn't post them.

Be memorable.

Talk about your accomplishments. Make funny jokes. Tell interesting stories. Mention how you are obsessed with Taylor Swift or "Grey's Anatomy." When you're on the other side of recruitment, you meet so many potential new girls that you honestly have a hard time remembering them all, which is why it's a good idea to make yourself memorable.

Ask questions.

If you really want to know something like how much dues are or what they do for fun, ask! We are trained to answer all these questions. Just don't ask questions about other sororities, boys, or partying because that's just not okay. You put the sorority women you are talking to in a very uncomfortable place. Please don't do that even though we are prepared for those questions.

Do NOT talk about booze, blunts, boys, or anything you think is inappropriate.

This should be common sense. It makes you look trashy. Wait until after bid day to talk about those kinds of things if you must. Politics should probably be avoided because people have different views on different things. Religion can be kind of tricky to talk about. If you went on an awesome mission trip or want to get involved with some sort of church group on campus, go ahead and talk about that. But do not force your beliefs down someone else's throat.

Dress to impress.

Don't look like a slob. Recruitment outfits should reflect your Sunday best or what you would wear getting brunch with your boyfriend's parents for the first time. Dress the part, yet make sure you feel comfortable in what you are wearing. Don't wear super high heels and not be able to walk in them. I plan on doing a post just on what to wear for recruitment either on here, my blog, or my YouTube channel so stay tuned for that.

Most importantly, follow your heart.

This one is the most important. If you feel strongly for a specific house, then let them know that. Don't be all creepy about it but don't play hard to get. The chapter I am apart of was the one I fell in love with in the beginning and my love for that chapter kept on growing after every rush party. All the sororities had great girls and I could see myself in all of them, but I knew that my chapter was the best fit for me. I followed my heart and it was the best choice I've ever made.

Don't forget to sign up for sorority recruitment at www.semogreeks.com!