Living in Washington D.C. is changing my point of view.

Spending A Semester In Washington D.C. Is Shaking Up My Point Of View

Some things I've been thinking about since I moved to the Capital.

109
https://pixabay.com/en/washington-dc-america-us-congress-2533244/

On the last day of August, I packed my life into my parents' van and drove to Washington D.C. to try out three months of city life in the capital. It's incredible to think that here, within only 68.34 square miles, some of the biggest decisions regarding human life are made.

Some of the most wealthy and important people within this country pass people so impoverished that they sleep on the streets with little to nothing to call their own. Men in suits pass men lying among rags daily.

Even with a large gap in the D.C. social ladder, I've found so much kindness here in the short time I've been here. In the capital of a country run by a man filled with so much hatred and ignorance, I find it incredibly refreshing to find that many of the people who surround the White House still care for human decency.

Coming from a small town, I've never truly been surrounded by the kind of diversity that fills Washington D.C. People of different cultures, lifestyles, and religions live in relative harmony in a district that works towards the betterment of the country.

One of the big things that I've learned since I've been here is that no one really is from Washington D.C., it's simply a big mixing pot of people from different states and countries. In my apartment, I live with students from North Carolina, Wisconsin, Poland, and the country of Georgia.

Consistently I find myself learning new things about humanity, cultures, and this country as a whole through the people I am surrounded by daily. I have met so many people eager to guide younger generations to greatness and so many young people eager to blaze their own trail and make a life for themselves.

In Washington D.C., I feel that I'm part of something bigger than myself. I feel that while I am only one person, I can work towards a bigger cause and that the people around me can and will do the same.

In D.C., I feel empowered by the fast motion of the city and the determination of its people.