An open letter to the most selfless person I know
Parents

Thank you for having faith in me.

309

Almost 3 years ago, I was going through something I could not possibly explain. Everything seemed to be hitting me in the face, but I tried to never let it show, then a year later, I finally broke.

Depression hit me in the worst time at the worst place in my life. I really was not sure how much longer I could hold on, that is until you came along. I don’t know that I would be who I am or even here if it wasn’t for you.

They say that teachers have the most impact on a child’s life. I think that statement is one of the most true things in the world, however I never had you has a teacher. Instead, I got the privilege to shadow you for a semester and be your helper. I’m not really sure what it was, but I was immediately drawn to you.

We had this weird connection, I felt like I could trust you instantly. Sometimes you just click with someone more than others and that’s how I was with you. You know everything about me. I tell you everything, I just trust you so much. You have helped me open my heart and embrace who I am.

When I was lost and all alone, scared and confused, you were there for me. Late phone calls, early morning texts, evening conversations, you made sure I was safe and alive. You never once stopped caring for me and you always let me know how much i am loved.

I’m sorry for all the pushing and pulling I did to you. It was never my intention to hurt you. You see, the woman I was suppose to be able to look up to, up and left my life. No warning. I just opened my eyes one day and she wasn’t there anymore. I’ve always been scared of people leaving me.

You mean so much to me that I was scared you would leave. I did not really know what to do when you tried to care for me so deeply. I wanted the love and the feeling of comfort, but I was also scared to lose it. But, here we are a couple years later and you’re still putting up with me.

Sometimes in life you just meet people who are meant to help better yourself and guide you a long the way. You have taken extraordinary measures to make sure I would do something with my life. You are so selfless and caring. I’ve never met someone that cares so much for others. Even if you are the wittiest person I’ve ever met, you really do have the biggest heart.

I am so incredibly blessed to know you and it’s a privilege having you in my life. It’s really hard to put into words how grateful I truly am for you, I don’t think i’ll ever be able to describe it. Thank you for all you’ve done and still do for me. There’s no one else better I could have asked for to help guide me along my journey.

I love you more than words.

Xoxo,

Ell