A Selfish 2017

A Selfish 2017

Take a challenge to love yourself more than anything else th. is year

8
A Selfish 2017
Huffigton post

As I sat down on New Year’s Eve, I realized I hadn’t made a resolution yet. Here I was writing articles to support and motivate people into the new year, and I was five steps behind. The past year was amazing and I couldn’t be more thankful. But as I thought about the past year, the good and the bad, I couldn’t help but notice a common factor. No matter how hard I worked, I was never satisfied with myself. I was my biggest critic, and not always for the better. For this new year, what if we devoted every day to loving ourselves a little more?

Everybody has flaws that are only noticeable to them. For years I have had a constant battle with my hair; I wanted it long and straight. My shoulders are too bulky and my thighs are too wide. My weight never seems to be good enough, and teeth are extremely small. These are a few of the many insecurities that I hold. The truth is, I would have never thought second on these traits, until somebody pointed them out to me. That is how insecurities work, once they are pointed out to be negative, you constantly despise them and wish for ‘better’.

This year, I want to challenge you, alongside me, to love yourself more than anything else this year. My hair, although curly and kinky, shows my personality more than ever. My shoulders and thighs, although overpowering, are strong enough to carry myself and the success ahead of me. My weight may not be pleasing to your eye or in your standards, but I am healthy and that is what matters. My teeth are small, but they glisten in the light and are naturally straight. Take your perceived flaws and turn them into strengths. You are beautiful in your skin and should never wish for more. It is okay to want to lose weight or change your life for the better; as long as it is in good intentions. Your stretch marks are just tiger stripes showing how strong you are and always will be. Wrinkles hold year's worth of memories with friends and family. Whatever your insecurities are, address them, and realize how beautiful and wonderfully made you are. Be selfish this year, and devote your days to being the person you originally are. Before all of the insults, false advertising, and wrongful labeling, you were true to yourself. Make 2017 your year. Ignore the background noise, the details of other people’s lives, and focus on yourself. Remember, Lions never lose sleep over opinions of the sheep.