Being single on Valentines Day

Whether you like it or not, Valentine's Day is coming. A day when you show someone you love or like by spending money on the material things such as, flowers, chocolates, balloons, and all the selling products that simply says, "I love you." Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky.

Some people spend Valentine's Day alone, and people become bitter. For instance, when someone is alone, they're number one quote is, "LOVE STINKS!" Let's not mention the anti- Valentine's day songs on repeat. Songs like, "So What," by Pink, or "We Are Never Getting Back Together," by Taylor Swift. Regardless of the protest of Valentine's Day, it's sad that single people don't think that they do have a Valentine. It's their selves.

I know what you're thinking. "It's not that easy." Which is true, self-love is something that takes time to develop. Trust me, it can get tedious since you see your own flaws, yet I've learned that my scars tell my story, and because I'm the main character of the story, I fall in love with myself, because of the progress I've made in my life. However, I am not the only one who loves me. I'm a Christian, and if I know someone who loves me more than I love myself, its Jesus. I mean, he did die for me, so I can be free. If that's not love, I don't know what is. Love is not flowers or fancy dinners.

You don't need one day to share the experiences of love, where you experience it every day. Every time, you wake up and do something for yourself, that's self-love. If you want my opinion, Valentine's Day is overrated. Why? Because you spend countless money just to impress one person for a day, then forget about it? Love isn't for one day. It's something you can't get rid of easily.

According to dictionary.com, Love is defined as an intense feeling of deep affection. True. You can have a deep affection for someone you like. Yet, there are times that it might not work out. Or it can be a complicated romance. Yet, you can have an intense feeling for developing self-confidence, and coming close to a breakthrough. I may not have a Valentine, but I will never give up on the fact of finding the one, however, I do have myself to love. If there was one thing I learned, it was to love yourself, before you spread the love on others.

To everyone who hasn't found the one yet, do I have a challenge for you! Your challenge is to write 5 things about yourself. Then, think about why you have these amazing aspects. That is called self-love. Then think about 5 things you don't like about yourself, yet you can't help it. That's called self-acceptance. I'm not saying I have it all figured out. I'm still learning the little things about myself. If there is one thing, I must share with you, its that Valentine's day is sharing the love. In my situation, sharing the love with myself. If I do find the right one, I will share my love for myself with someone else. Happy Valentine's Day!