11 Self Help Books Every College Student NEEDS To Read This Fall Semester

In the last few months, I have really gotten back into reading. Reading is the perfect way for me to unwind and destress. Though I love a good romance thriller or young adult novel, there is something to be said about reading a book that is not only entertaining but also can potentially give you advice or inspire you to do better.

And that is the beauty of a good ol' "self-help" book. I feel like the term "self-help" kind of gets a bad wrap, but in essence, they are just books that share words of wisdom from someone who is knowledgeable on the subject.

Oftentimes, these are people who have struggled in the past, which makes their story that much more impressive. These books have the power to change someone's life for the better, and I know that has happened to me.

I am the type of person that constantly wants to learn and grow, and there is really no better way to do that than through reading. As a college student, especially with all the added stress happening right now with the pandemic, we are constantly being pulled in a million directions. Frankly, we need all the help we can get right now on how to be the best version of yourself.

While I have not personally read every single book on this list, the ones that I have read have made a tremendous impact on my life, many lessons to which I try to utilize in my daily life. I encourage you to find one of these books on this list that speaks to you and make it a goal to read it.

This book may change your life and you would have no idea if you didn't pick it up. So without further ado, here are the hottest, most recommended self-help books that all college students must put on their "TBR" list.

1. "The Defining Decade" by Meg Jay

Now that I turned twenty a few weeks ago, reading this book is definitely a must for me. In "The Defining Decade," Jay claims exactly that--that your twenties are by far the most impactful decade you will have, and how crucial it is to make every second of them count.

Meg Jay takes a multifaceted approach to explain how important your twenties are and how the growth you will achieve in these 10 years has been proven to have lasting effects on the rest of your life.

2. "Big Friendship" by Aminatou Sow

This book has been all the hype over the last few months. So many people have described it as "a book that makes you want to call your best friend immediately after you finish reading." I actually have it currently on hold and I can't wait until I can actually read it.

Friendship certainly has its ups and downs, and this book will have you guaranteed to be reflecting on all the kinds of connections you've made.

3. "Untamed" by Glennon Doyle

Glennon Doyle has recently become one of my favorite people in the last few months, and I owe it partially to reading this book. Though this book is partially a memoir, I feel like there is definitely a self-help aspect as she shares many valuable lessons.

One of the biggest takeaways I had from reading this book is about all the misconceptions you are taught when you are young. The essence of this book explains how women are constantly put into these "boxes" of how they should feel and how they should act and how they need to be "untamed" from that experience and aspire to the people they want to be.

One of her greatest reminders is that "we can do hard things," which is a lesson that I really try to live by. I love this book and would recommend it to anyone who needs that extra push to be their best selves.

4. "The Body Is Not An Apology" by Sonya Renee Taylor

"The Body Is Not Apology" has been raved about constantly on "Diet Starts Tomorrow," which is my all-time favorite podcast. This book emphasizes the fact that you do not need to apologize to someone about how your body looks and to also love your body for all that it does for you.

Taylor invites her readers to think critically about how society impacts our negative body image and what you can do to begin to achieve self-acceptance and self-love.

5. "Nice is Just A Place in France" by The Betches

Is this the most profound, insightful book you're ever going to read? Definitely not. But I kind of think that's the point. Creators of "Betches Media," Aleen Kuperman, Sami Fishbein, and Jordana Abraham, are some of my most favorite people to follow and are the type of people that I would actually want to be friends with in real life.

"Nice Is Just A Place In France" is a kind of a play on this persona of a "betch," or in other words, a girl who knows what she wants and won't settle for anything less. Their sarcasm, especially in the way that they make fun of this quote-on-quote "nice girl," not only makes me laugh out loud, but also teaches how to be a freaking girl boss.

6. "Girl, Wash Your Face" by Rachel Hollis

In "Girl, Wash Your Face," author Rachel Hollis shares advice as to how to not give up on your goals. In this book, Hollis does not hold back on sharing her own personal hardships and how she worked to overcome them.

She encourages women to hustle hard and put their passion into everything that they do.

7. "Girl, Stop Apologizing" by Rachel Hollis

After the success of her first novel, "Girl, Wash Your Face," Hollis knew she had more words of wisdom to give to the world. In "Girl, Stop Apologizing" she instead focuses on how girls should not feel ashamed for who they are or to stop comparing themselves to other people.

Although I haven't read this yet, this seems to remind me a lot of "Untamed" in the sense that both of these women are commenting on how much women have been held back and encouraging them to break away from that. I am definitely looking forward to reading this one.

8. "Unf*ck Yourself: Get Of Your Head and into Your Life" by Gary John Bishop

I am very guilty of doing exactly what is in the title--getting in my head. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I have a tendency to overthink pretty much every situation and it definitely does more harm than good.

In this book, Bishop encourages his readers and not to seek out external factors for approval or guidance on how to be your best self, but instead to look within and take full responsibility for their your own life.

9. "Rising Strong" by Brene Brown

Brené Brown has become one of my favorite people. I truly admire everything that she has to share with this world and her profound outlook on life. In this novel, Brown shares the harsh truth that failure is inevitable.

However, from these setbacks we come back even stronger and will learn so much more about ourselves than they ever could have. Vulnerability is difficult to embrace, but it is the only way that we will be able to change for the better.

10. "Mindset" by Carol Dweck

I read this book for school sophomore year of high school and still think about it to this day. Let's just think about that because it doesn't happen often (most books I read in high school were terrible, haha).

I think the reason why I liked this book so much was that it was so applicable to my own life. In this novel, Dweck shares the importance of possessing a "growth" rather than a "fixed" or unchangeable mindset. Growth-mindset people believe that they are capable of change and doing better.

They think outside the box and are adaptable, flexible people. I would like to say that I do, in fact, possess a growth mindset myself, and I attribute that partially to what I learned from this book.

11. "Maybe You Should Talk To Someone" by Lori Gottlieb

Saved the best for last. "Maybe You Should Talk To Someone" is by far one of the best books I've ever read. As both a psychology nerd, mental health advocate, and an avid writer, this book was right up my alley. In this novel, Lori Gottlieb explains the true impact of therapy from all perspectives.

She shares several accounts of the positive change in her own clients, but more importantly how therapy has done for her, because yes, therapists need therapy, too. As someone who wants to go into therapy when I'm older, I find so much comfort in her perspective and all of the amazing things she shares.

As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.