2020 Was Hard, So Let's Dedicate 2021 To Self-Care

It's not selfish.

26
Photo by Jason Yoder on Unsplash

I don't need to state the obvious, but being a human these days is hard.

With the pandemic, recession, political unrest and general awfulness that seems to come every single day, investing in self-care has been an essential task for many. Self-care doesn't necessarily have to look like healthy foods, exercising daily and being social... even if it is technically good for you.

Self-care is whatever works for you.

We're all vastly different human beings and work in vastly different ways. As generic as it might sound, you just have to find who you are and have that information at your arsenal as you go in the search for the self-care tactics for you.

If, for example, you find that happiness for you is staying busy, stay busy. Take on new roles, new projects, grab all the books you can and add it to your to-read list, whatever floats your boat. If you come to the conclusion that happiness is the couch and a good, thick book, then pencil in the to do just that.

If it's downing a pint of ice cream, then it's downing a pint of ice cream.

Just be mindful. Choose things that truly bring joy. I know, I know, total #MarieKondo vibes. Ask yourself if you truly, truly, truly need to do X thing, and if that answer is a resounding 'yes,' then do it.

Listening to your mind, body and soul is essential to truly make self-care work for you. Make sure to shed off any shame you may feel for taking that time for yourself. There is no self-care police that monitor what you do in the name of self-care, no one will ring a bell yelling 'shame' wherever you walk just because you had a slice of cake.

Trying to find a good starting point in figuring out your own self-care routine? Take into account your level of introvert-ness and/or extrovert-ness (psst, this quiz is awesome to help you on your journey to figure this out).

For example, someone with high levels of extrovert-ness may find rejuvenation in chatting with friends, while an introvert may find that to be immensely stressful and choose to mediate instead.

Figuring where you sit on the scales of introvert-ness and extrovert-ness can give you a good idea of what environment works best for you, and you can work off of there for what might work best to take care of you. Naturally, of course, that doesn't mean, for example, that if you find yourself to be introverted you shouldn't go out to the bar as a way as self care.

If you know it works for you, it works for you.

Basically, know yourself before taking care of yourself. With absolutely no ounce of shame, because shame is so 2020.