Self Care Is Important So Do It

Self-Care Is So Hard

It's one thing that helps your mental health immensely, but it's so hard to make yourself do.

98

It's not a new concept to know that taking the time once or twice a week to take care of yourself is a major help in keeping yourself sane and productive, but for a lot of us, it's the hardest thing to do.

It's almost impossible to slow our minds down enough to just light a candle and put on a face mask. The mere thought of spending valuable time doing something that seems so small and unimportant is mind-boggling. Yet, it's probably the one thing that can jump start some mental healing.

Self-care is so hard for us that need it the most because we don't really see the value in taking care of ourselves and if it involves spending money on ourselves? Forget it. For those of us that are struggling, spending an extra $50 to go get a massage is just not doable. Spending the extra money on a nice face mask and a new candle can even be tough. However, we have to remind ourselves that if we don't take care of ourselves, literally no one else will. We have to be nice to ourselves and we have to be nice and tender and caring because news flash: the real world can be CRUEL.

You don't always have to do the cliche, basic bitch methods of self-care either. Let's be honest, I do love a good Yoga class, a nice smelling candle and getting a facial but self-care can also be more personalized like reading a book you enjoy, writing about your thoughts from today or blasting your favorite rock song on volume 11 and hang banging around your bedroom. You have to find what makes you feel good, but also make sure that it actually makes you feel good without harming yourself. I am the first one to admit that I trick myself into thinking eating cookies or a bag of chips is some form of self-care but, let's be honest. It's not.

Self-care is so important because it makes you learn to love yourself and rediscover yourself. Find out what you like. Find some new hobbies, new artists, new books. It can open up a whole new world that you never knew about and help you re-center and refocus at the same time. Plus, pampering yourself sometimes can make you feel pretty hot so why not?

I know it's difficult and sometimes you have no energy or motivation to do what seems like a long pointless task, but you'll thank yourself you did afterward.