One of the biggest things that should consume our time should be the love and care we give ourselves. Unfortunately, this too can cost a lot of money. Self-care practices are known for looking like bath-bombs, manicures, pedicures, getting your hair done, buying a new outfit, and spending tons of money on things that make you happy now. What we forget are the practices that do not cost a thing:

1. Setting healthy boundaries

One of the things that we forget to do when we allow people to enter our lives is set boundaries. We wonder why our friends make comments that hurt our feelings, why our partner teases us in ways that annoy us, or why people do things that we don't like. It's because we don't set boundaries.

Healthy boundaries look a lot like deciding whether a potential relationship will be good for you instead of jumping head first and rushing into intimacy. It looks like recognizing that friends, partners, and family are not mind-readers. It's knowing what you do and do not want and not allowing people to decide that for you. It's also being your own parent and not allowing others to control you. It's saying no when you want to and telling people around you when something isn't for you. Healthy boundaries include trusting your own decisions, being sexual when you want to be, and not allowing others to take advantage of who you are romantically or in general.

When boundaries are set and are healthy those around you will not have a chance to walk all over you, like before.

2. Forgiving yourself

We are so good at forgiving others that we forget that we need to forgive ourselves as well. We need to tell ourselves that what we do is okay the same way we tell others. It's okay if we say the wrong thing at the wrong time, it's okay if we do something stupid, it's okay if we fail a test, it's okay that we ate the whole cake, and it's okay if we don't have it all together. We are all our biggest critics and we put the most pressure on ourselves, so the most that we can do is forgive ourselves after any slip-up.

When you forgive yourself you can feel the weight lift off your shoulders. When you say to yourself, "I forgive you", you can instantly feel what forgiveness feels like. It isn't keeping you up at night and it doesn't have you wondering who else you might've let down.

3. Finding something you enjoy doing alone

I'd say this would be healthy for both introverts and extroverts. Even if it means sitting in your bed for hours upon hours watching your favorite show. There's a long list of things you can enjoy doing alone. Going to the gym, reading, running or sitting outside for a few minutes doing absolutely nothing.

It's not something you have to do every day or it is something you can do every day. It's something you enjoy but you don't need to reason with why you enjoy doing it or tell anyone what you enjoy most about it. It's to bring you closer to yourself in a way that is more understanding. That is what practicing self-care is. It's doing things for you that make you enjoy life a little more. Let this "something" that you find be that for you.