See You Soon

See You Soon

When goodbye is too permanent.

5
See You Soon

"Goodbye" is the suckiest word in the English language.

The last time I heard that word was when my father left for the store to get cigarettes, and he never returned.

When the doctors said I should come and say my last words I refused to. It wasn't because I didn't love you as much as I said. It was because I knew I would see you again. "Goodbye" is such a permanent word and yes, death is permanent too; but one day we'll dance in the graveyards while our friends tell stories of our ghosts.

I know you will always be with me. Our treehouse has survived every hurricane the universe could throw. We have crashed but never burned. We have cried but never drowned. No matter what, we survived. This is just a minor setback. Death is just another adventure, right? You aren't leaving.

You're just getting started on the next campaign without me.

Yes, your characters will be left voiceless, but I will take care of them. Your final nat-20 will be immortalized in museums as the best roller the village had ever seen. I will make sure the world will immortalize you as you are in my heart. While your thoughts may have been senseless you still managed to build and destroy empires in a matter of a few words.

This is not goodbye. This is a see you later.

A promise to make it never be a final word. I know you'll always be looking over my shoulder, one way or another. Always laughing when I needed you to keep a straight face. Always leaving wild ideas scattered about my room. You can keep my hoodies, I know it still gets cold in the winter.